Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 62

The Only Psalm

This psalm is sometimes called the “only” psalm. Obviously not because it is the only one that exists, for there are 149 more. No, it is called the “only” psalm because of the importance of understanding that the “only’ thing we need, is God. Our faith in Him will carry us through any and all situations. David knew this truth and speaks of this in the “only” psalm.

Psalm 62:1-2
My soul waits in silence for God only; From Him is my salvation.  He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken.

There is no need to turn to anything else. But sometimes we must wait on God. Sometimes things appear out of control.

Psalm 62:3-4
How long will you assail a man, That you may murder him, all of you, Like a leaning wall, like a tottering fence?  They have counseled only to thrust him down from his high position; They delight in falsehood; They bless with their mouth, But inwardly they curse. Selah.

We have all been in this position. What do we do when we face the assailment of the enemy and it seems as if God isn’t acting?

Psalm 62:5-8
My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him.  He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be shaken.  On God my salvation and my glory rest; The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God.  Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah.

We do as David did.  We do as Jesus instructed in Matthew 26:41, we watch and we pray. Otherwise we will fall to the temptation to be shaken in our faith. We wait on God in silence and we remember that our hope is in Him, He is our rock, He is our salvation, our stronghold, and our refuge. Jesus is the “only” thing we need.

The world has turned away from God and sought idols. It has rejected God’s Word. It turns to men to be the answer to our problems. Psychology is man’s answer to what ails us, yet addictions, violence, and crime continue to run unchecked. David knew the answer. It is “only” God we need.

Psalm 62:11-12
Once God has spoken; Twice I have heard this: That power belongs to God;  And lovingkindness is Yours, O Lord, For You recompense a man according to his work.


God has spoken. We have His Word. The power to change is in God’s Holy Scriptures. And David knows the ‘only” thing we need is Him. The choice is simple. Choose God and His way or choose the world. In the end, God will recompense a man for his work. Make your work, God’s work. Do it His way. Make the choice today to let God be the “only” thing you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment