Monday, August 21, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 55


Once again in Psalm 55, we find David crying out to God in prayer. David has enemies, those who sought to kill him. But the worst of it all was the pain of the betrayal of those closest to David that hurt the most. Probably the greatest lesson we can gain from reading the psalms is the lesson of complete dependence on God we must have. Then we must seek His face in prayer. Because of Jesus, we can go boldly to the Throne of Grace.

Psalm 55:1-2
Give ear to my prayer, O God; And do not hide Yourself from my supplication.  Give heed to me and answer me; I am restless in my complaint and am surely distracted.

David was in great anguish and he tells this to God. We must come to God in the same way.

Psalm 55:3-5
Because of the voice of the enemy, Because of the pressure of the wicked; For they bring down trouble upon me And in anger they bear a grudge against me.  My heart is in anguish
within me, And the terrors of death have fallen upon me.  Fear and trembling come upon me, And horror has overwhelmed me.

We have all felt like David did. Sometimes you just want to get away from it all.

Psalm 55:6-7
I said, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.  "Behold, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the wilderness. Selah.

There is a refuge; a place to go.

Psalm 55:8
"I would hasten to my place of refuge From the stormy wind and tempest."

Our refuge is Jesus. Remember that we see in the New Testament, Jesus controls the storms.

David then tells God his deepest hurt. It is the betrayal of a friend. Maybe you can relate.

Psalm 55:12-14
For it is not an enemy who reproaches me, Then I could bear it; Nor is it one who hates me who has exalted himself against me, Then I could hide myself from him.  But it is you, a man my equal, My companion and my familiar friend; We who had sweet fellowship together Walked in the house of God in the throng.

David knows where to turn. Who to trust to handle our enemies.

Psalm 55:16-19
As for me, I shall call upon God, And the LORD will save me.  Evening and morning and at noon, I will complain and murmur, And He will hear my voice.  He will redeem my soul in peace from the battle which is against me, For they are many who strive with me.  God will hear and answer them— Even the one who sits enthroned from of old— Selah. With whom there is no change, And who do not fear God.

As Christians, we can do as David when our enemies have us down. There are three choices to consider. We can strike back. We can sink into despair and do nothing. Or we can do what David did; give them over to God and then let go in faith.

Psalm 55:22-23
Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.  But You, O God, will bring them down to the pit of destruction; Men of bloodshed and deceit will not live out half their days. But I will trust in You.


Jesus commands us to pray for our enemies. To do that, we must first come to Him and share our burden in prayer. Then leave it at the foot of the cross and trust God.

No comments:

Post a Comment