Thursday, August 3, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 40


I struggle with having patience. I want things now and the world we live in has become a “now” society. Satan doesn’t help us in this area and any time we don’t get an immediate answer to prayer, he tries and convince us that God is not listening to us or He is not going to answer. The devil is a liar and he works through deception. In Psalm 40, we are again reminded that we can trust in God as we wait upon Him.

Psalm 40:1-3
I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.  He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.  He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.

So, how do we get through those times when God wants us to wait upon Him, yet our enemy is tempting us with doubt?

We do this by remembering. We remember who God is and we remember the many times He has delivered us.

Psalm 40:5
Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.

Every time I commit to thanking God for all He has done for me, I find myself in a never-ending prayer. I used to wonder how I could possibly ever follow the command of 1 Thessalonians 5:17, which tells us to “pray without ceasing.” Then I started spending more time thanking God for everything I could think of and I soon realized my blessings in Him are inexhaustible. As David said, there are too many to declare.

I long to be an obedient servant of God and to follow all His ways, yet I seem to fail daily. Recently I have been reading a book on praying through the scriptures and David gives us a perfect prayer in this psalm.

Psalm 40:11-13
Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD; may your love and your truth always protect me.  For troubles without number surround me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails within me.  Be pleased, O LORD, to save me; O LORD, come quickly to help me.

That prayer was written for me. Then David gives us something to pray for all Christians.

Psalm 40:16
But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, "The LORD be exalted!"

The truth is we all sin and fall short of His glory. David finishes this psalm with more great prayer content.

Psalm 40:17
Yet I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay.  


Jesus came to save us from our sins. We are poor and needy. He is our help and our deliverer. Please, Father God, do not delay in helping us to be more like Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment