Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 61


This morning’s psalm is another gem of prayer. In it, as in so many, we see Jesus. It is a beautiful cry to God for us to have His Son be the anchor that holds us still in the midst of the waves of life.

Psalm 61:1-4
Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer;  from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I,  for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.  Let me dwell in your tent forever! Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings! Selah

Hearing this prayer reminds me of the great hymn, Rock of Ages. It is Jesus upon whom we so desperately need. And it is through prayer by which we can minute by minute, be sheltered from the storm.

David committed himself to a life of following God. God’s promise of an everlasting kingdom to David is fulfilled in Christ.

Psalm 61:5-7
For you, O God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.  Prolong the life of the king; may his years endure to all generations!  May he be enthroned forever before God; appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!

We must be like David. We must pray like David. We must commit ourselves to our Lord as David did.  We must praise Him every day. We, the church, are His bride. Let us fulfill the vows we have taken.


Psalm 61:8
So will I ever sing praises to your name, as I perform my vows day after day.

No comments:

Post a Comment