Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 38


Psalm 37 is the third of the penitential psalms, which are psalms in which the author express sorrow and shame over his sin. All of us sin and fall short of the glory of God and there must be times in our lives when we go to God in prayers of penitence. The good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is that God has imputed the guilt of our sin upon Him, but our part in this demands repentance and confession. Amazingly there are times in our lives that we think we are hiding our sin from God, but we are not. God knows our very thoughts, even before we think them. In this psalm, we find David to be reaping the consequences of his sin. He has realized that it is this sin that has brought him into severe discipline at the hand of the Lord and in this psalm, we see three responses people have to the Lord’s discipline, as seen in the consequences of David’s sin.

The first response is to focus upon yourself, which simply allows us to experience the pain that comes because of our sin.

Psalm 38:1-3
O LORD, rebuke me not in your anger, nor discipline me in your wrath!  For your arrows have sunk into me, and your hand has come down on me.  There is no soundness in my flesh because of your indignation; there is no health in my bones because of my sin.

David is sick. He cries out to God. But he begins by blaming God, suggesting it is simply God’s anger and indignation that has brought this upon him. But then he remembers that it is his sin that is at the root. Far too many Christians fail to consider the possibility that it is their sin that is the reason God is allowing sickness to inflict their body. God is so patient with us, yet we should never be presumptuous with it and think we can stay in our sinful state. Listen to the rest of David’s description.

Psalm 38:4-8
For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me. My wounds stink and fester because of my foolishness,  I am utterly bowed down and prostrate; all the day I go about mourning.  For my sides are filled with burning, and there is no soundness in my flesh.  I am feeble and crushed; I groan because of the tumult of my heart.

David knew it was his sin that needed to be dealt with and he started to look to God for the answer. But then he digressed and in that we see the second response we often have to the discipline of the Lord. He starts to focus on other people and begin to feel isolated.

Psalm 38:9-14
O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you.  My heart throbs; my strength fails me, and the light of my eyes—it also has gone from me.  My friends and companions stand aloof from my plague, and my nearest kin stand far off.  Those who seek my life lay their snares; those who seek my hurt speak of ruin and meditate treachery all day long.  But I am like a deaf man; I do not hear, like a mute man who does not open his mouth.  I have become like a man who does not hear, and in whose mouth are no rebukes.

Sometimes God moves in those around us to allow us some time to suffer alone. This is the place we usually hit rock bottom and then realize it is God who we need. Then we can finally move into the third response, which is put our focus on Jesus. Then we can receive the forgiveness and restoration that we so badly crave.

Psalm 38:15-22
But for you, O LORD, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.  For I said, “Only let them not rejoice over me, who boast against me when my foot slips!”  For I am ready to fall, and my pain is ever before me.  I confess my iniquity; I am sorry for my sin. But my foes are vigorous, they are mighty, and many are those who hate me wrongfully. Those who render me evil for good accuse me because I follow after good.  Do not forsake me, O LORD! O my God, be not far from me!  Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation!

Salvation is in the Lord. Once David wholeheartedly confessed his sin and turned back in repentance, he knew there was forgiveness. So, he waited confidently in the Lord, knowing even his vigorous and mighty enemies could not stand against God.


Hebrews 12 is clear that God disciplines His own. If we are truly His, our sin will bring discipline. How will we respond? Not all sickness and sorrow is a direct response of our own sin, though in general sin has brought death and sickness to the world since the fall of Adam. But when we find ourselves where David was, it is a good idea to ask the Holy Spirit to awaken us to any possible unconfessed sin. God loves us so much He sent His own Son to die for our sins. There is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. Keep your eyes on Him. Confess and repent. It’s that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment