Friday, August 4, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 41


Psalm 41 is another psalm that has messianic truth. In it we see a picture of Judas, the one who betrayed Christ. In it we see resurrection, which is the object of our hope in Christ. We would be wise to take heed of its message. Historically, we find David again in distress and danger with his enemies close at hand. David also has been betrayed by a friend. Maybe you can relate. But he begins with a reminder of what it takes to find joy in the Lord.

Psalm 41:1-3
Blessed is the one who considers the poor! In the day of trouble the LORD delivers him;  the LORD protects him and keeps him alive; he is called blessed in the land; you do not give him up to the will of his enemies.  The LORD sustains him on his sickbed; in his illness you restore him to full health.

Blessed, or happy, is the one who considers the poor. Why? Because God has a heart for those who in need. We tend to spend more time making judgments on why people need help, than on helping them. This is not the Jesus who dealt with us. Romans 5:8 reminds us of our own spiritual poverty saying that “God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Yes, people need to make better decisions and probably are their own cause of their problems, but so were we until Jesus saved us. Just as Jesus first justifies us, then He works on sanctification, we should consider the poor in His way. Jesus heals. He does heal physically, but more importantly, He heals spiritually.

The first step all of us must take is to do as David did; confess our sins in humility.

Psalm 41:4
As for me, I said, “O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you!”

Then as David, did, we can pray for help from the outside attacks. David knew what it felt like to be maligned through the words of enemies and friends alike.

Psalm 41:5-9
My enemies say of me in malice, “When will he die, and his name perish?”  And when one comes to see me, he utters empty words, while his heart gathers iniquity; when he goes out, he tells it abroad.  All who hate me whisper together about me; they imagine the worst for me.  They say, “A deadly thing is poured out on him; he will not rise again from where he lies.”  Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.

David prayed for help. But notice how he prayed. He prayed in faith. He prayed for grace, for he humbly knew he didn’t deserve God’s help. He prayed from a desire to be in obedience to God and to have integrity.

Psalm 41:10-12
But you, O LORD, be gracious to me, and raise me up, that I may repay them!  By this I know that you delight in me: my enemy will not shout in triumph over me.  But you have upheld me because of my integrity, and set me in your presence forever.

Then He praised God. Prayer and praise belong together.

Psalm 41:13
Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting! Amen and Amen.


Do you need God’s help? Call on Jesus. Humble yourself in confession and seek His way.

No comments:

Post a Comment