Saturday, August 5, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalms 42 and 43


Psalms 42 and 43 are most likely one psalm. It is another look at the struggle many of us have with depression. In it we see the author going back and forth in his despair but then remembering that our God is right there with us. It opens with a beautiful description of the heart desperate for God.

Psalm 42:1-2
As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?

Thirst in its extreme is desperate thing. And this is exactly where many Christians begin in their journey for God. When we are so thirsty for Him that we can’t even hardly swallow because of the dryness in our hearts, then we will seek Him as we should.

Psalm 42:3
My tears have been my food day and night, while they say to me all the day long, “Where is your God?”

I’ve been here. Maybe you have as well. Maybe you are here today.

Psalm 42:5-6
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.

The answer to rising from the depths of despair, is to remember God, remember who He is. When we remember what Jesus did on the cross in securing our salvation, then we can turn the turmoil running within us into praise.

Psalm 42:7
Deep calls to deep at the roar of your waterfalls; all your breakers and your waves have gone over me.

God will allow us to experience the waves of despair so that our only hope is to call out to Him. I like to recall the story of Peter and Jesus from Matthew 14:22-33. Peter walks on the water when he gets out of the boat in faith, but then he takes his eyes off Jesus and sinks. Jesus pulls Him up out of the water.

Matthew 14:30-31
But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.”  Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

Peter did what we do; he looked at the wind instead of at Jesus. He forgot that Jesus controls even the storms of life.

Matthew 14:32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.

Your storm? Jesus is in complete control of it. But you must be with Jesus. Sometimes we get to be in the safe boat with Jesus; but sometimes we must be in the water and the waves with Him. Either way, keep your eyes on Him.

Psalm 42:9-10
I say to God, my rock: “Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”  As with a deadly wound in my bones, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me all the day long, “Where is your God?”

The enemy will ask you, “Where is your God?” You will be tempted to think He is not there.

Psalm 42:11
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.

Ask yourself this question. Then turn doubt into praise. Pray the prayers of Psalm 43.

Psalm 43:1
Vindicate me, O God, and defend my cause against an ungodly people, from the deceitful and unjust man deliver me!

Psalm 43:3
Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling!

Then go to the altar in praise.

Psalm 43:4
Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy, and I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God.

Ask yourself again. Then remember your hope is sure in Him.

Psalm 43:5
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.

Cry out to Jesus today. Cry out with the same passion and need as the psalmist, who wrote “As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?”


Answer that question yourself. Come now and appear before God. He is waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment