Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 51


As Christians, we must come to grips with our own sinful nature. Then and only then, can we even begin to offer to God, the worship and the praise He deserves. Psalm 51 is a wonderful psalm to pray through. In it we see the truth of our own sinful nature as revealed by David, who wrote this penitential psalm as a confession of his own sin with Bathsheba, in which he had her husband, Uriah, killed to hide that sin.

Psalm 51:1-5
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.  Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!  For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.  Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment.  Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.

We are sinners both by nature and by choice.

Psalm 51:6
Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

Our change must begin from within.

Psalm 51:7
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

In terms of theology, we must understand the difference between justification and sanctification. Justification is the immediate work of God, because of faith in Christ. When we confess our need for our savior, Jesus, and believe by faith that He died as our substitute on the cross, we are justified. This means the Blood of Christ now covers us and God sees us as if the very righteousness of Christ is what we are. Sanctification is the life-long process of actually becoming like Jesus.

Sin is what breaks us down and causes the body to wear out. Our sin will literally make us sick and it is why we die. But because of the hope in Christ and eternal life, we can have joy even as we suffer through this life.

Psalm 51:8  
Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice.

We need to cry out to God in humility and confession.

Psalm 51:9-12
Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.  Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.  Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.

Then we need to praise and worship Him as we are renewed with a right spirit; a spirt of joy.

Psalm 51:13-15
Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you.  Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, O God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness.  O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.

Then we must share the Good News!

There are many religious groups out there that distort the truth. They teach that we can somehow earn God’s good pleasure. That isn’t what God desires.

Psalm 51:16-17
For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

Come to God broken. Then He can and will use you to serve Him and then He will accept our offerings back to Him.

Psalm 51:18-19
Do good to Zion in your good pleasure; build up the walls of Jerusalem; then will you delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on your altar.

Pray through this psalm often. Cleanse, restore, and use us, must be our refrain. Let verse 10 be your cry to our most merciful and gracious God.

Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment