Saturday, August 19, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 54


Psalm 54 is a prayer, a prayer from David as he sought God’s help in saving David from those who sought to destroy him.

Psalm 54:1-2
Save me, O God, by Your name, And vindicate me by Your power.  Hear my prayer, O God; Give ear to the words of my mouth.

We must take careful notice of David’s appeal. He asks God to save him by His (God’s) name and by God’s power. As Christians, we hold no right or standing to even speak to God, except by the name of Jesus. We can enter the throne of grace only through our baptism, which means identification, with Jesus. And it is only by the power of God that we can be saved.

Who is your enemy?

Psalm 54:3
For strangers have risen against me And violent men have sought my life; They have not set God before them. Selah.

David’s enemies weren’t strangers as we think of the word; they were men from his own tribe. They were strangers more in the sense of being men who had turned their back on him. Maybe you can relate. Maybe it’s an ex-spouse or a former employee. But maybe it’s simply yourself. Most of us are our own worst enemies.

No matter who the enemy is, our mission as Christians is not to respond in violence; it is to love our enemies and pray for them. David had several opportunities to kill Saul, yet he chose to let God handle him. This is our calling as well.

Psalm 54:4-5
Behold, God is my helper; The Lord is the sustainer of my soul.  He will recompense the evil to my foes; Destroy them in Your faithfulness.

Let God be the avenger. But what if it is yourself who is your enemy? The same principle applies. Pray and ask God to have mercy upon you and let Him, through the power of the Holy Spirit change you. As Christians, we have already been saved from eternal destruction. Shouldn’t that be the reminder we need to thus have mercy upon our own enemies? Shouldn’t we pray for God to save them and thus see the power of God working through His Holy Spirit changing them?

We must humble ourselves before God and let Him be God over all things and every situation. When the enemy threatens, turn to God in prayer. Then praise His holy name, for He is our salvation.

Psalm 54:6-7
Willingly I will sacrifice to You; I will give thanks to Your name, O LORD, for it is good. For He has delivered me from all trouble, And my eye has looked with satisfaction upon my enemies.

It’s about faith. Do you, as David did, have enough faith in God to handle your enemies?

Maybe your real enemy is a lack of faith? Pray for more faith.  


Prayer is the key the Christian walk. David knew that. Be like David.

No comments:

Post a Comment