Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 57


Trying to live this life without God is an exercise of futility. We can see that in the way the people of the world live. They run around in a constant rush, looking for that one thing that brings contentment. Yet it clearly eludes them. Like David, our lives are fraught with danger and difficulty. We need Jesus. But to simply say you are a Christian and yet, to not be in constant relationship with Him, is to be just like the world. Prayer must be the air we breathe. We must, as David does in the Psalms, call out to God.

Psalm 57:1-4
Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.  I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me.  He will send from heaven and save me; he will put to shame him who tramples on me. Selah God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness!  My soul is in the midst of lions; I lie down amid fiery beasts— the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords.

We must humble ourselves before Him.

Psalm 57:5
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!

We must exalt God to the position of sovereign creator, who is in control of the earth. We must pray that it is God who is glorified and not ourselves or those around us.

Psalm 57:6
They set a net for my steps; my soul was bowed down. They dug a pit in my way, but they have fallen into it themselves. Selah

The world is like a booby-trap waiting for us to stumble into. But we have a shepherd and He will lead us through the minefields of life if we follow Him.     As we pray, we must praise God.

Psalm 57:7-9
My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody!  Awake, my glory! Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn!  I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations.

Why can we praise Him? David knows.

Psalm 57:10
For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.

As we pray, we must come to Him as a child, completely dependent on Him to lead us. Then we must remember that is God who deserves all the glory.


Psalm 57:11
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!  

No comments:

Post a Comment