Friday, August 25, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 59


Again and again in the Bible, we read that God is for His people. Though not all promises in scripture are for all people, we must rightly divide the Word of God to discern them, many are. Psalm 59 contains promises for the Christian. Listen to the prayer of David in this psalm.

Psalm 59:1-2
Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; protect me from those who rise up against me; deliver me from those who work evil, and save me from bloodthirsty men.

God is our deliverer. He will protect us from those who rise up against us.

Psalm 59:3-4
For behold, they lie in wait for my life; fierce men stir up strife against me. For no transgression or sin of mine, O LORD,  for no fault of mine, they run and make ready. Awake, come to meet me, and see!

David was not guilty of the things being said about him in this case. But let us be warned; far too often we make our own bed and then must lie down in it. Often our own sin is at the root of our troubles, so we must be careful in our self-examination. If it turns out we are guilty, then we must repent and seek God’s mercy and grace.

Psalm 59:8
But you, O LORD, laugh at them; you hold all the nations in derision.

The world is in rebellion against God and God’s people are under attack this very day. We can find comfort in knowing that God is not impressed with the world.

Psalm 59:11-13
Kill them not, lest my people forget; make them totter by your power and bring them down, O Lord, our shield!  For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips, let them be trapped in their pride. For the cursing and lies that they utter, consume them in wrath; consume them till they are no more, that they may know that God rules over Jacob to the ends of the earth. Selah

When David’s enemy came from outside, He knew God would destroy them. But in this case the attack was from His own people. David prayed that God would bring discipline once again to his people so that might be restored and be reminded that God is sovereign over the world.

Psalm 59:14-15
Each evening they come back, howling like dogs and prowling about the city.  They wander about for food and growl if they do not get their fill.

Our enemies can be relentless. But David knew who God is and he put his faith in Him.

Psalm 59:16-17
But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress.  O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.

David knew that God was faithful. So instead of focusing too much on the enemy, David turned to praise and worship, having faith that God would indeed hear his prayers.


This is how prayer should look. Come to God and make your requests known. Then have faith that He hears and He responds. Let God be God. Our task is to seek Him with all our hearts and souls. Our task is to live by faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment