Friday, September 1, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 63


Have you ever been thirsty? I mean really thirsty? So thirsty, you cannot even swallow because your throat is so dry. I remember after my accident when I fell from the roof of a friend’s house we were building and I was taken to the hospital, I was not allowed to have even a sip of water until later that evening after all the tests were complete. It’s funny how when you can’t have something, how much more you will desire the very thing you cannot have. This is exactly why God allows us to enter the desert in our life. He wants us to realize just how much we need Him. He wants us to crave Him with all our being. Psalm 63 speaks of this as David thirsts for God.

Psalm 63:1
O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

When we’ve reached that point of total desperation we cry out to God in our thirst.

Psalm 63:2
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory.

The world offers many so-called solutions to our thirst. But there is only one thing can truly satisfy our need; God. Why? David tells us.

Psalm 63:3
Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.

When we travel through the desert and the wilderness we must go to God. Praise Him even in the middle of the dry periods.

Psalm 63:4-8
So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands.  My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,  when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night;  for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.  My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.

There are only two choices in this life. The world or God.

Psalm 63:9-11
But those who seek to destroy my life shall go down into the depths of the earth;  they shall be given over to the power of the sword; they shall be a portion for jackals.  But the king shall rejoice in God; all who swear by him shall exult, for the mouths of liars will be stopped.

Don’t fall for the lies of the world. Jesus is what we need. Go to Him for He will quench the thirst of life.

John 4:14

“But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment