Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 56


This life is hard and becoming a Christian does not change that fact. If you are a true Christian, it actually becomes harder. Most have us people in our lives who just seem to be our opponents. Mayne it’s at work where someone just always seems to contradict everything you try and do. Maybe it’s that college professor, who you just can’t seem to please. It might even be your spouse. But when we become a Christian we are immediately opposed to the world and its ways. Jesus promised us trouble in Matthew 16:33 that “in this world, you will have trouble.” Psalm 56 speaks of this fact.

Psalm 56:1-2
Be gracious to me, O God, for man has trampled upon me; Fighting all day long he oppresses me.  My foes have trampled upon me all day long, For they are many who fight proudly against me.

Again and again in the psalms, we find David telling God about his fears and his struggles. This is prayer and David knew the importance of praying without ceasing. Listen to his prayer.

Psalm 56:3-4
When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You.  In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me?

As David prays, he is reminded of who he can trust. He praises God as he prays and thus he remembers who God is and who man is. He remembers the power and sovereignty of God.

Psalm 56:5-7
All day long they distort my words; All their thoughts are against me for evil.  They attack, they lurk, They watch my steps, As they have waited to take my life.  Because of wickedness, cast them forth, In anger put down the peoples, O God!

It’s hard to forget the relentless attack of our enemy. David continues his prayer by telling God what he faces. Again, through prayer, David remembers who God is. He remembers that God sees.

Psalm 56:8-13
You have taken account of my wanderings; Put my tears in Your bottle. Are they not in Your book?  Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call; This I know, that God is for me.  In God, whose word I praise, In the LORD, whose word I praise,  In God I have put my trust, I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?  Your vows are binding upon me, O God; I will render thank offerings to You.  For You have delivered my soul from death, Indeed my feet from stumbling, So that I may walk before God In the light of the living.

God has not abandoned you. He knows your wanderings. He collects your tears. His book records our struggles. As David prays, he remembers that God is for him. He remembers that it is God’s vow that is binding, not ours.

The truth is we fail God. But when we become a Christian through faith in Christ, we are involved in a new covenant. But that covenant is not based on our work, but on Christ’s work on the cross. Our faith in not in self but in Jesus. Jesus shed His blood so that we could be adopted into the family of God.

When life gets too hard, stop and pray. Remember what Jesus has done for you and then stand on His faithfulness.

What can man do to you? Nothing that God isn’t allowing. Go to your Father on your knees and ask Him to deliver you from the attacks. If He does, awesome. If he allows you to stay in the battle, then let Him fight for you. Trust in Him.


Pray. Praise Him. Thank Him. Trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment