Wednesday, August 6, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - August 6, 2014 – Day 13 - Psalm 13

Where is God when you need Him? Where is He when the diagnosis is cancer? Where is He when your husband is killed in a car accident and you are left alone?  Where is God when your child has fallen into the pit of addiction? Where is God when you need Him most? How long must I wait on Him? David in Psalm 13 asks that question several times.

Psalm 13:1-2
“How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart all the day? How long will my enemy be exalted over me?”

How long, how long, how long?

But David knew what to do when God seems distant. He prayed and He prayed boldly.

Psalm 13:3-4
“Consider and answer me, O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death, And my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," And my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken.”

Watch what David did next having lifted up his need to God. He took up the shield of faith and rejoiced in praise and song.

Psalm 13:5-6
“But I have trusted in Your loving kindness; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me.”

How does David do this? He goes from depression to joy in just 5 short verses. He does it by fixing his eyes upon His Lord. He rejoices in the salvation of God. And he can sing because he remembers God’s provision.

Brothers and sisters in Christ, we have both. God loved us so much He sent His son Jesus to die for us on the cross and in that and that alone we have salvation. And like David we can trust in Him because we too have been dealt with bountifully. If you are reading this and live in America then you have a bountiful life. Stop a moment and consider the wealth of blessings God has given you.

One last thing about Psalm 13; this entire Psalm is a prayer. Notice its length. Just 6 verses comprise this prayer, yet in it David went from despair to joy. Satan does not want us to think it is that simple, but it is. Jesus taught us how to pray in Matthew 6:9-13 and in it His model prayer was only 65 words long. Luke 11 covers it in 58. Prayer is not difficult. Go to God in Jesus’ name and tell Him your fears, your needs, and your desires. If need be ask Him for more faith to trust on Him and to wait on Him. Then do as David and rejoice in your salvation and sing to the Lord.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment