Friday, August 29, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH- August 29, 2014 – Day 34 - Psalm 34

Five years ago today I was severely injured when I slid from a roof slamming into the ground shoulder first. The impact broke 12 of my ribs, pulverized my shoulder into tiny pieces, and broke my pelvic bone so that it spread out tearing all the soft tissue in my lower abdomen. My spleen was ruptured and my left lung collapsed. Like Humpty Dumpty, who couldn’t be put back together again, the doctors said I would never return to work again. They said I faced months in a rehab facility. It was bad. But before dialing 911 at the scene, I asked my friend to pray first then call 911. I was met at the hospital by countless brothers and sisters in Christ to pray for me. Throughout my hospitalization my church friends continually came to pray. After only 8 days in intensive care I was moved to a regular room. 3 days later, only 11 days since my accident I went home. 3 months later I went back to work. In 4 months I was lifting weights again. Today I walked 8 miles. I have learned to trust God. In the many nights at home unable to sleep as I slowly got better God taught me to praise Him. Psalm 34 is a psalm of praise.

Psalm 34:1-3
I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad.
Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!
David wrote this when facing extreme danger. How? By prayer and faith in God.

Psalm 34:4-7
I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.
This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him and saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them.
The angel of the Lord spoken of here is Lord and King of all, Jesus.

Psalm 34:8-10
Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
Oh, fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack!
The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
God protects and provides for those who are His children. Through His Holy Spirit He teaches us how to live.

Psalm 34:11-17
Come, O children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
What man is there who desires life and loves many days, that he may see good?
Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit.
Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry.
The face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth. When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.
But in is in the darkest of times when the situation seems hopeless that we grow in faith and we see God’s hand in action.

Psalm 34:18-21
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all.
He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken.
Affliction will slay the wicked, and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
Jesus came to save us and to heal us from the brokenness of sin and to restore us to relationship with Him.

Psalm 34:22
“The LORD redeems the life of his servants; none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.”
Praise God! Praise God! Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment