Wednesday, August 20, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - August 20, 2014 – Day 25 - Psalm 25

Like David we Christians can sometimes feel like we aren’t sure which way to go. Though our enemies are much different than David’s we are no less fearful and lonely. I know that like me, many of us suffer with depression. The Psalms are a great comfort and a guide to how we can find our way in this hard life.

First we must cry out to God in humble desperation.
Psalm 25:1-2
“To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
O my God, in you I trust; let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me.”


Satan will remind us how sinful we are and shame can overtake us. But having cried out to God we must wait upon Him as He uses these times to grow us. James instructs us of this saying,
“Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” (James 1:2-4)
David understood this.

Psalm 25:3
“Indeed, none of those who wait for You will be ashamed; Those who deal treacherously without cause will be ashamed.”
Which way do we go? What does God want us to do? So often we struggle wondering why we don’t hear from God. But are we looking for Him? Are we reading His Word and praying for His Holy Spirit to make known to us its truth? David knew that is what he must do. Hear his prayer.

Psalm 25:4-7
“Make me know Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths.
Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; For You I wait all the day. Remember, O LORD, Your compassion and Your loving kindnesses, For they have been from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; According to Your loving kindness remember me, For Your goodness' sake, O LORD.”
Observe what David asks for. First he asks God to reveal His ways and then teach him God’s path. But first David admits it is salvation that he first must have. Then he waits on God. Then he asks God not to remember His sins and he appeals to God’s mercy and kindness. God sent Jesus so that our sin could be atoned for. Once we confess it then it is done. There is no condemnation in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 25:8-11
“Good and upright is the LORD; Therefore He instructs sinners in the way.
He leads the humble in justice, And He teaches the humble His way.
All the paths of the LORD are loving kindness and truth To those who keep His covenant and His testimonies. For Your name's sake, O LORD, Pardon my iniquity, for it is great.”
David offers God worship and praise and seeks humility, for it is those who humble themselves before God who are led to the Promised Land.

David asks a question in verse 12, “Who is the man who fears the Lord?” Hear the answer in Psalm 25:13-15 “His soul will abide in prosperity, And his descendants will inherit the land.
The secret of the LORD is for those who fear Him, And He will make them know His covenant.
My eyes are continually toward the LORD, For He will pluck my feet out of the net.”
David continues to cry out to God in prayer.

Psalm 25:16-22
“Turn to me and be gracious to me, For I am lonely and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged; Bring me out of my distresses.
Look upon my affliction and my trouble, And forgive all my sins.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many, And they hate me with violent hatred.
Guard my soul and deliver me; Do not let me be ashamed, for I take refuge in You.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, For I wait for You.
Redeem Israel, O God, Out of all his troubles.”
But not only does David pray for his own salvation; he prays also for all of Israel.

Lessons learned here:

1. Humble yourself before God.

2. Ask Jesus to forgive you as you confess your sin.

3. Fear God.

4. Let Him teach you the way, show you the path. The Word of God is where those answers are.

5. Wait on God. Keep your eyes upon Jesus. He is there. He will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment