Saturday, August 23, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - August 23, 2014 – Day 28 - Psalm 28

Hands up, don’t shoot! Hands up don’t shoot! How many times in the past two weeks have we seen that statement on signs or heard people shout that from the streets of Ferguson in protest of a policeman shooting an unarmed black man? Some want justice, others want revenge. But the Bible is clear that the only true justice comes from God and the only one who should be allowed vengeance is Him.

Like we’ve all seen on TV this past week there is enough evil to go around coming from both those who enforce the law and those who break the law. Psalm 28 finds David feeling the same as many of us do. But rather than appeal to man he appeals to God for help.
Psalm 28:1

“To you, O LORD, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me, lest, if you be silent to me, I become like those who go down to the pit.”
The answer to Ferguson is the same answer as all other problems of our world; the Gospel. Rather than cry out “Hands up, don’t shoot” we must cry out to God asking Him to hear us as we put our hands up.

Psalm 28:2
“Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to you for help, when I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary.”
Like David we must plead with God to empower us to not be fooled by evil men who speak double talk.

Psalm 28:3
“Do not drag me off with the wicked, with the workers of evil, who speak peace with their neighbors while evil is in their hearts.”
Psalm 28 is considered an imprecatory psalm, meaning it is a call to call to bring judgment against those who will not respect His law.

Psalm 28:4-5
“Give to them according to their work and according to the evil of their deeds; give to them according to the work of their hands; render them their due reward.
Because they do not regard the works of the LORD or the work of his hands, he will tear them down and build them up no more.”
David’s heart is pure in this prayer. He is not being vengeful but is instead showing reverence for God’s Word and God’s ways. He wants God to do the judging. We need to pray for the salvation of all evil men but also we can pray that those who will never accept Christ are dealt with by God. Not by man, for our justice is flawed but by God who is the true judge of all things.

David then brings His praise to God for he knows that God hears and is faithful.
Psalm 28:6-8
“Blessed be the LORD! for he has heard the voice of my pleas for mercy. The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him. The LORD is the strength of his people; he is the saving refuge of his anointed.”


Then David closes with an intercessory prayer for God’s people.  
Psalm 28:9
“Oh, save your people and bless your heritage! Be their shepherd and carry them forever.”


Like David we must raise our hands. Unlike the protesters in Ferguson we must raise our hands in complete surrender; surrender to our Lord who is coming back and when He comes back He shall bring justice to the evil of this world. Raise your hands to God today in prayer. Raise them in submission and surrender. Then raise them in praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment