Monday, August 25, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - August 25, 2014 – Day 30 - Psalm 30

Jesus still heals. Personally I have experienced healing and personally I have observed healing. Psalm 30 is viewed at by different commentators but as I read through it this morning I believe that the idea of this being written by David after an illness of some sort makes good sense. But in whatever setting you choose to believe this psalm was written in one thing remains clear; God is worthy of our praise.

Psalm 30:1-4
“ I will extol you, O LORD, for you have drawn me up and have not let my foes rejoice over me.
O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol; you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit. Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name.”
It is popular to say God is not angry with you.” But I do not think it Biblical to suggest God is never angry. God hates sin. Proverbs 6:16-19 instructs us that “There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil,
a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.”


Yes God gets angry. But His anger is righteous and it is short.
Psalm 30:5
“For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.”


Whenever we sin we do not please God but He sent Jesus to atone for that sin. Repentance and confession is what restores us to Him because through them the work of Christ is made effective in us.
God will not leave us in the pit. At times affliction and illness may come and it is though them that we often turn back to Him in our pain.

Psalm 30:8-10
“To you, O LORD, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy:
"What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it tell of your faithfulness? Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me! O LORD, be my helper!"
Like David, we must cry out for His mercy. We must humble ourselves before Him.

Then we will rise out of the pit, be that pit be depression, illness, or addiction. His mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:23). Then we must lift our hands to Him in praise and thanksgiving.
Psalm 30:11-12
“You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever!”


 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment