Sunday, August 10, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - August 10, 2014 - Day 16 – Psalm 16


August 10, 2014
Day 16 – Psalm 16
If you have ever been caught in a serious storm, one with hard rain, dangerous lightening and high winds, then you know that feeling of desperation as you search out the landscape for some place to get cover. David knew where to find that refuge. He found it in God.
Psalm 16:1

“ Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.”
How often we seek our answer in the wrong things. But not David, he understood that all good comes from God.

Psalm 16:2-9
“I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."
As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.
The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips.
The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.”


This Psalm is prophetic in nature and looks forward to resurrection.
Psalm 16:10-11
“For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”


To call Jesus our Lord and our Savior means we look forward to the eternity He promises. The good news of the Gospel is not just that Christ died for our sins, but is also that He was resurrected. Like Him, we shall not die and be stuck forever to just be buried in death. No our hope is in resurrection. First we live this life with the joy of becoming more like Jesus every day, having died to sin we live to righteousness. But we also look forward to death when through death of our physical bodies our spirits go to the presence of the Lord and we anticipate the new body we shall have in eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment