Sunday, August 17, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - August 17, 2014 - Day 22 – Psalm 22

The reality of Calvary as seen in Psalm 22

 David may have written this Psalm while running from Saul somewhere in the wilderness but clearly as one looks carefully at its words we see in it the work of Christ at Calvary. It opens with the words Jesus uttered at the cross as He faced not only the physical torture of crucifixion, but even worse as He faced a complete and terrible separation between Himself and God the Father as we read in Matthew 27:46. “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" that is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Psalm 22 is a prophetic look at the reality of what occurred at Calvary. In it one can find 33 prophecies which were fulfilled there. I suggest that each of us take time to find out what they are for in that alone does scripture prove itself as divine inspiration. But more importantly today I call attention to something more important to our personal application.

What happened on the cross was that Jesus suffered the penalty we deserved. Hear its opening.
Psalm 22:1-2
“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest.”


Without the saving grace of the blood of Christ this is our cry. And the reason is given in verse 3.
Psalm 22:3
“Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.”


Because we are sinners from birth and because God is holy we are separated from Him, dead in our sins. Verse 6 describes us.
Psalm 22:6
“But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people.”


But it was actually Jesus who was “scorned by mankind and despised by the people.”
Psalm 22:12-18 describes the things Jesus faced.
“Many bulls encompass me; strong bulls of Bashan surround me;
they open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring lion.
I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast; my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet — I can count all my bones— they stare and gloat over me;
they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.”


Satan was there watching Jesus suffer and like a “like a ravening and roaring lion” was licking his chops at the sight of the dying savior. But it was not to be. Satan was defeated by the resurrection.
Psalm 22:24
“For he has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, and he has not hidden his face from him, but has heard, when he cried to him.”


To those who know the depths of their own sinfulness because of Calvary new life is available. Jesus is alive and so is His church. In that we rejoice.
Psalm 22:25-31
“From you comes my praise in the great congregation; my vows I will perform before those who fear him. The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek him shall praise the LORD! May your hearts live forever! All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you. For kingship belongs to the LORD, and he rules over the nations. All the prosperous of the earth eat and worship; before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, even the one who could not keep himself alive. Posterity shall serve him; it shall be told of the Lord to the coming generation; they shall come and proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn, that he has done it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment