Tuesday, August 26, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH- August 26, 2014 – Day 31 - Psalm 31


It has been said that life is like a roller coaster; it has its ups and downs. Most of would agree and we would add that it also has its twists and turns. We can say with certainty that it can change in a moment. The author of Psalm 31 teaches us how to handle the ever changing events of our lives.
When we first become Born-Again Christians our lives are exciting as we see who Jesus is and what He has done for us. Psalm 31 opens by declaring the Lord to be our refuge and our rock. He is a mighty fortress where our sinfulness is hidden inside of His righteousness.

Jesus quotes verse 5 as His dying words from the cross.
Psalm 31:5
“Into your hand I commit my spirit…”


We make the same cry to God when we surrender our life to Him and die to ourselves for our salvation comes only by that death and then the resurrection of new life.
Psalm 31:5
“Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.”


Yet even though we commit our spirits to Christ by our words we still fall short in our Christian walk. This Psalm speaks of many of the battles we all face.
Psalm 31:6
“I hate those who pay regard to worthless idols, but I trust in the LORD.”


We struggle in relationships with those who don’t share our same commitment to God. Yet, we trust in Him.
Psalm 31:7
“I will rejoice and be glad in your steadfast love, because you have seen my affliction; you have known the distress of my soul…”


We still have affliction in our lives. We are distressed. But Jesus knows this and we take joy in His love for it never changes.
Psalm 31:9-10
“Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also. For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones waste away.”


The true Christian grieves over his sin. Unconfessed sin will wear us down, both spiritually and physically.
To add to our misery the world looks at every single little mistake we make as a Christian and they throw it in our face. Often we are ostracized for our desire to be different than the world. It is easy to be become depressed over our shortcomings especially when we have an adversary like Satan who is the master liar. The world plots against us. For some it is a co-worker or neighbor, often even a family member. For others it is a more physical plot such as we see happening by groups such as ISIS who are murdering Christians daily.

But whatever enemy we face the answer is the same. Jesus Christ is our refuge. Psalm 31 reminds me of the great Hymn, Rock of Ages which says “Rock of Ages cleft for me; let me hide myself in Thee.” In the difficult times of trouble we must pray the same things the author prays in this Psalm.
Psalm 31:14-18
“But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God."
My times are in your hand; rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors!
Make your face shine on your servant; save me in your steadfast love!
O LORD, let me not be put to shame, for I call upon you; let the wicked be put to shame; let them go silently to Sheol. Let the lying lips be mute, which speak insolently against the righteous in pride and contempt.”


Sing praises to God for He hears the cry of His children even when we fear He does not see.
Psalm 31:21-22
“Blessed be the LORD, for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me when I was in a besieged city. I had said in my alarm, "I am cut off from your sight." But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy when I cried to you for help.”


Follow the final words of this Psalm. He is there. He hears and He sees, He knows your affliction and He preserves His faithful children.
Psalm 31:23-24
“Love the LORD, all you his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD!”

No comments:

Post a Comment