Sunday, November 26, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 132


Psalm 132 is one of those scripture readings that find different thoughts on who wrote it and what it speaks of in terms of historical acts, but I think it is safe to say that it is messianic in nature. In it, as in the Bible as a whole, is the hope we have in Christ.

Psalm 132:1-5
Remember, O LORD, in David’s favor, all the hardships he endured, how he swore to the LORD and vowed to the Mighty One of Jacob, “I will not enter my house or get into my bed,  I will not give sleep to my eyes or slumber to my eyelids,  until I find a place for the LORD, a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob.”

Our lives as Christians are journeys that lead us to Jesus and to the fullness of what being a child of God means. It will have hardship. Some of that hardship is of our own doing and some is derived from the acts of those around us, but all of it will be used by God to bring us home. The psalmist speaks of David’s vow to find “a place for the Lord.” But the New Testament Christian has already been told where that temple is to be. It is to be in our hearts. Paul has informed us in 1 Corinthians 3:16 asking us this, “Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?”

Psalm 132:6-7
 Behold, we heard of it in Ephrathah; we found it in the fields of Jaar.  “Let us go to his dwelling place; let us worship at his footstool!”

If God’s temple is within the heart of His people, the Church, then do we not profane the temple when we mistreat each other?

Psalm 132:8-10
Arise, O LORD, and go to your resting place, you and the ark of your might.  Let your priests be clothed with righteousness, and let your saints shout for joy.  For the sake of your servant David, do not turn away the face of your anointed one.

Again, this psalm might have an important historical meaning, but what is it saying to us, as God’s people?  1 Peter 2:9 tells us that we “…are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession.” Therefore, like the priests of old, we are to be cloaked in righteousness and we must be shouting for joy. In Christ, we are cloaked in His righteousness and thus we have an obligation to live out that calling.

1 Peter 2:10-12
Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.  Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.  Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.

Psalm 132:10
For the sake of your servant David, do not turn away the face of your anointed one.

God’s anointed one is His Son, our savior, Lord Jesus.

Psalm 132:11-18
The LORD swore to David a sure oath from which he will not turn back: “One of the sons of your body I will set on your throne.  If your sons keep my covenant and my testimonies that I shall teach them, their sons also forever shall sit on your throne.”  For the LORD has chosen Zion; he has desired it for his dwelling place:  “This is my resting place forever; here I will dwell, for I have desired it.  I will abundantly bless her provisions; I will satisfy her poor with bread.  Her priests I will clothe with salvation, and her saints will shout for joy.  There I will make a horn to sprout for David; I have prepared a lamp for my anointed.  His enemies I will clothe with shame, but on him his crown will shine.”

Again, we can see that historically this psalm refers to David and God’s promise to David, but in that promise to David, was a bigger picture and that picture is Christ. Jesus is the one on the throne of Heaven, Jesus is the only King who can feed the poor and save the lost. He has clothed his priests with salvation. He has given Jesus the crown that shines.


This is a psalm that is called a psalm of ascents and is also called a pilgrim psalm. Christian brothers and sisters, we are on a pilgrimage. Let us call upon God as we make the journey from this life to the next. Let us find hope and joy in knowing that Jesus is the Great Shepherd, and He will bring us safely through the journey. That is cause to have joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment