Saturday, November 25, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 131


Some of the most comforting words ever spoken were spoken by Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30,
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Yet, most of us never to seem to do as He said in that wonderful offer. Psalm 131 is a quick look at what that would like if we simply gave Jesus, our burdens of life. But to do this requires what David speaks of here. We must accept who we are and then live in humility.

Psalm 131:1-2
O LORD, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.  But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.

We need to stop trying to do things in our power and start walking in God’s Will. We must stop rushing around doing too much and simply do our part in the ministry God has placed us.

Psalm 131:3
O Israel, hope in the LORD from this time forth and forevermore.

Where is your hope? In self? In others? Or in God? When you hope in the Lord, your soul will be quieted and you will know calm. It’s called peace. It comes from Jesus. It is His promise to all those who come before Him in humility and in faith.

John 14:27
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”


It’s really is that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment