Monday, November 6, 2017

Studies in the psalms - Psalm 116


2 Timothy 3:16 boldly declares that “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,” but that does not mean there are not certain passages that will stand out in their individual splendor. There are even some scriptures that are embraced by those who aren’t even Christians, such as the 23rd Psalm. It’s ok to have some favorite passages, which we often memorize or we surround ourselves with to call on in times of need. The Book of the Psalms is filled with wonderful words which bring comfort to our hearts and Psalm 116 stands out as a great psalm and is deserving of careful study.

Psalm 116:1-4
I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy.  Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live.  The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish.  Then I called on the name of the LORD: “O LORD, I pray, deliver my soul!”

We are commanded in 1 Thessalonians to “pray without ceasing”, and why would we not? Life is difficult at best and personally, I need to be in constant touch with Jesus to get me through each hour of the day. Jesus has promised to never leave nor forsake us. He is with us in every moment and prayer is simply talking to Him.

Psalm 116:5-9
Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; our God is merciful.  The LORD preserves the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me.  Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.  For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling;  I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.

When Jesus went to the cross, He delivered us from the power of death, for the wages of sin are death. He paid the cost of our sin. But before we can take that in, we must be brought to our knees in sorrow and understanding that we are sinners. God’s holiness demands payment for sin but in His mercy, when we are brought low, He saves us. Thus in Christ, our souls find rest.

Psalm 116:10-11
I believed, even when I spoke: “I am greatly afflicted”; I said in my alarm, “All mankind are liars.”

The world lies to us. It tells us that sex, money, and things will provide us happiness. They do not. Usually it takes great affliction to awaken us to the truth of this.

Psalm 116:12-14
What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me?  I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD, I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people.

The world expects repayment. It knows nothing of true mercy and grace. The world is give and take. If you want something; you must pay for it. If you have what another needs; you charge them for it. Not so with God. Our salvation was bought and paid for at the cross by Jesus. All God wants of us is to obey Him.

Psalm 116:15
Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

Death to the Christian is simply the final victory.

Psalm 116:16-19  
O LORD, I am your servant; I am your servant, the son of your maidservant. You have loosed my bonds.  I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the LORD.  I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people, in the courts of the house of the LORD, in your midst, O Jerusalem. Praise the LORD!

What must we give back to God? The sacrifice of thanksgiving. Jesus has freed us from the bondage of sin. He is worthy of our praise, our worship, and our thanksgiving.


Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment