Sunday, November 19, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 127


The world preaches a lie; it tells us that we must be self-sufficient and strong. But the Word of God teaches us differently. It tells us that when we are weak, then we are strong (see 2 Corinthians 12:9-11). In Matthew 15:5, Jesus says, “Apart from Me, you can do nothing.” Psalm 127 reminds us of the folly of doing things ourselves. Note the importance of not only letting Jesus be the power behind what we build, but also the need to live by faith in Christ to protect us, our families, and even our possessions.

Psalm 127:1
Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.

Like many of you have done or are doing, I got up every day for some forty years and dove into the rat race of the working world. Verse 2 seems to have been written to those who worked for the telephone company I worked for. Countless days I went in early only to stay deep into the night, trying to make a living. But the more money I made, the more money we spent. Easy come, easy go says the old saying. It wasn’t all that easy to make money for me. But it sure did disappear from the bank account easily.

Psalm 127:2
It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.

The rest of Psalm 127 seems to shift gears and change its course upon first look. But as I ponder this psalm with my eyes on the rear-view mirror of my own life, I see the logic the Holy Spirit is applying in the order of this psalm.

Psalm 127:3-5
Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth.  Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

The lesson here is clear to me now. I wish I would have known this in my younger days. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with being a hard worker and going out every day to earn a living. It is good to provide for your family. But when we labor in our own strength and attempt to provide the best we can for our families, we fail our children in the greatest way.

If I had to do it all over, I would have put Jesus at the head of my household. I would have taught my children that without Him, we can do nothing. Without Jesus as the object of our pursuit of happiness, we simply live out a life of vanity. I would have spent more overtime on family devotions and prayer, and less on earning money. I would have taught my children that everything we need, is found in Christ.

This morning if you have a young family or you are preparing to start one, follow the counsel of God’s Word. Let Christ be the project manager and let Him provide the strength to build your house. If you are like me, old and living in the house you built, then begin a rebuilding project. Ask Jesus to help you remodel the house you dwell in. Do that and you will find rest for He gives His beloved sleep.


Slow down. Don’t get ahead of Jesus. Let Jesus build and guard your house. Anything else is just vanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment