Friday, November 24, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 130



Its popular in the world of psychology to suggest that we need to hit rock bottom, before we can rise up out of our troubles. The truth is, each and every one of us are already in the pit of hopelessness, unless we are saved by the Blood of Christ. Certainly, some of us are in worse places than others in this world, but spiritually, if you without Christ, you are in the depths of the worst pit. The psalmist knows this as he opens psalm 130.

Psalm 130:1-2
Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD!  O Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy!

We don’t need more behavioral plans or more psychology, we need God’s mercy. Out of the depths of our sinful nature, we must cry out to God.

Psalm 130:3-4
If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?  But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared.

Sometimes I look inward at myself with God’s word as my mirror, and I feel overwhelmed with my sin. But then as I take in God’s Word, I am reminded, in Christ, I am forgiven. This makes me tremble in reverence for God.

Psalm 130:5-6
I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning.

I struggle with my sin and I wonder, “When, oh God, when will I become like Jesus?” But as I read His Word, I understand that in my own power can come nothing good. So, I cry out to God for mercy, for grace, and for strength to carry on. But I must wait upon Him and I must know that my hope is only in Christ. In His Word, I hope.

Psalm 130:7-8
O Israel, hope in the LORD! For with the LORD there is steadfast love, and with him is plentiful redemption.  And he will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

This morning marks the first day of what we call the Christmas season. To me, Christmas is every day, for every day I must remember Jesus. Every day I must read His Word. I must remember that He came to earth as a man and as God, to pay the price of my sins. And like the psalmists says of Israel, I have hope, I have His steadfast love, and I have plentiful redemption. He has redeemed me from all my iniquities. So, I wait on that glorious day, when He completes the work He has started in me.


Hope in the Lord. It’s the only way out of the pit.

No comments:

Post a Comment