Saturday, November 22, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - November 22, 2014 - Day 101 - Psalm 101


David wrote Psalm 101 and in it we find him describing his purpose in leading the nation as king. It would be easy to draw a comparison to our current president and extend this premise out to the godless system of government we have sunk to here in America. But as I read Psalm 101 this morning I felt it speaking to me as I remembered that revival must start in the hearts of God’s people and then it will spread like a wildfire into the land. Simply speaking I am convicted.

Psalm 101:1
I will sing of your love and justice; to you, O LORD, I will sing praise.

I have been attentive to the need to awaken every day and praise and thank God for the many blessings He provides me. I have made a conscious effort to become a better worshipper of God. I try and sing of God’s love and justice. Take note here; the psalmist wrote I will sing “of” not “for” love and justice. Through Christ I have received these things.

Psalm 101:2
I will be careful to lead a blameless life-- when will you come to me? I will walk in my house with blameless heart.

The second verse hits me hard. I have not been careful to lead a blameless life and I cannot honestly say I walk with a blameless heart. I am not walking in the full power of the Spirit.

Psalm 101:3
I will set before my eyes no vile thing. The deeds of faithless men I hate; they will not cling to me.

My eyes still look at things they shouldn’t. I watch movies I should turn away from. Sometimes I applaud wicked things men do especially if my judging heart thinks the recipient deserved it.

Psalm 101:4
Men of perverse heart shall be far from me; I will have nothing to do with evil.

Sometimes I dabble with evil.

Psalm 101:5
Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret, him will I put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, him will I not endure.

Gossip is probably the biggest sin we find in our churches today. I participate or I allow it to go unchecked when I hear it. I am prideful, humility escapes me.

Psalm 101:6
My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; he whose walk is blameless will minister to me.

There are better choices to be made in my life.

Psalm 101:7-8
No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who speaks falsely will stand in my presence. Every morning I will put to silence all the wicked in the land; I will cut off every evildoer from the city of the LORD.

As I read these words this morning I am convicted. That is not a bad thing; I need to be reminded of the path I should be on. The good news is from verse 1; I can sing of God’s love and justice. Because I have placed my faith in Jesus my sins are covered by His blood. I am making progress, but this morning I know I need to keep striving. I need to die to myself and let the Holy Spirit guide me more. I have to govern my own life as David spoke of how he would govern as king. Psalm 100 reminds me though I have come a long way; there is more work to be done. My prayer is that each of us who call ourselves disciples of Jesus will stop looking at our leaders and complaining and start looking at ourselves. Revival could come. But it must start in our own hearts and in our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment