Saturday, November 1, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - November 1, 2014 – Day 84 - Psalm 84


I don’t know about everyone else but sometimes I am just flat out sick of life here on this earth. I am tired of the violence. I am tired of selfishness and a world where everyone thinks they are more important than others. I am tired of sickness and death, tired of poverty and tired of war. To the best of my ability I try and live life as abundantly as I can. I enjoy good food, cold drinks, a hot bath, and a nice nap. I really like hiking in the mountains, catching a fish, and floating down a river in my kayak watching birds and other wildlife as I go. For me every day is thanksgiving for I am so blessed to have all that I have. But I long for the day when I am basking in the glory of the almighty God in Heaven. I spend a lot of time alone with Jesus. I love to read His Word and praying to Him is my favorite activity. But like the psalmist in Psalm 84 I long to be in His courts.

Psalm 84:1-2
How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD of hosts! My soul longs, yes, faints for the courts of the LORD; my heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God.

We were not created by God to live for this world but we are meant to be pilgrims here just passing through until we go home to be with Jesus. This is why no matter how much you drink or how much drugs you put into your system you will never find satisfaction there. Our whole lives are spent looking for that magic elixir that will fill the hole in our hearts. That hole can only be filled with one thing and that is Christ. Once you experience true relationship with Christ you will long to be in His heavenly presence.

Psalm 84:3-4
Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, at your altars, O LORD of hosts, my King and my God. Blessed are those who dwell in your house, ever singing your praise! Selah

Life is truly a journey and it is a hard one. Personally I could not take one more step without God’s power and His guidance which comes through His Holy Spirit.

Psalm 84:5
Blessed are those whose strength is in you, in whose heart are the highways to Zion.

The psalmist speaks of the Valley of Baca. The word Baca speaks of weeping. The highway of life will take you through the valley of weeping. Jesus has promised to always be with us on our journey and He lives to be our comfort. He sent His Spirit to live within us. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the answer to traversing the valleys.

Psalm 84:6
As they go through the Valley of Baca they make it a place of springs; the early rain also covers it with pools.

Our journey is hard. Life will have its up and downs as they say. Prayer is our connection to God and we must cry out to Him for every need.

Psalm 84:7-8
They go from strength to strength; each one appears before God in Zion. O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer; give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah

The journey is fraught with danger. But God is our protector to those who place their faith in Him.

Psalm 84:9-11
Behold our shield, O God; look on the face of your anointed! For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.

The ways of the world will not bring you favor or honor. Its ways are a lie. But to those who are cloaked in the robe of the righteousness of Jesus, God will give all good things.

Psalm 84:12
O LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!

The journey is hard. But I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. I have dwelt in the tent of wickedness. It is not a good place to be. So no matter how hard it gets and how tempting it is to stray from the path of righteousness I will pray every day that I might dwell in the courts of God. Blessed in the one who trusts in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment