Tuesday, October 7, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - October 7, 2014 - Day 62 - Psalm 62


For most of us to sit still in the midst of trouble seems nearly impossible. As a long time repairman for AT&T when something is broke I want to jump in and fix it. When someone attacks me or threatens me in any way I want to fire back. But in Psalm 62, David while in the midst of an attack on himself, demonstrates incredible faith in God as he rests in God and God alone during the attack.

Psalm 62:1
For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation.

David follows the advice of another psalm; Psalm 46.

Psalm 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God.

How can David just sit still? Because he knows even in the worst possible attack he has a fortress to take safe refuge in.

Psalm 62:2
He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.

Jesus is the rock and He and He alone is our salvation. We need not add one other thing.

Yet His enemy is relentless. Just like ours sometimes the attack comes through the lies. Satan is the father of lies.

Psalm 62:3-4
How long will all of you attack a man to batter him, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence? They only plan to thrust him down from his high position. They take pleasure in falsehood. They bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse. Selah

Notice what David does here. Like us he started to dwell on his enemy and the attack, so he repeats to himself the truth of his faith in God.

Psalm 62:5-6
For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.

God alone is where his hope lies. Only Jesus is our rock, our salvation, and our fortress. We do not need anything else. In verse 2 David said he shall not be “greatly” shaken. By remembering the truth of who God is, his faith has strengthened. Now in verse 6 he declares he shall not be shaken.

He preaches it again to himself.

Psalm 62:7
On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God.

He preaches it to us.

Psalm 62:8
Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah

The he tells us where not to put our faith and trust.

Psalm 62:9-10
Those of low estate are but a breath; those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath. Put no trust in extortion; set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them.

Most people turn to man for help. Poor and rich…neither are the answer. The answer is not extortion or stealing. The answer is not money. The answer is Jesus.

Psalm 62:11-12
Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For you will render to a man according to his work.

The power is in God alone. The power of salvation rests in Christ and Christ alone. We cannot add to it by our works or our efforts. Jesus died on the cross and for those who place their faith in Him salvation is a free gift. Sometimes in the midst of our troubles like we do with our salvation, we want to help ourselves or we want someone else to help us.

The truth is sometimes we just need to stop, be still, and know that He is God. That defines prayer. If we truly know He is God then we know He is all powerful. So we pray in all circumstances. Then we wait upon Him. If God is all-powerful then we know for sure He can resolve whatever we face. So if we believe that and He answers our prayer in a different way than we thought He should, then we should just rest in Him. God is sovereign. Trust Him. Wait on Him. Hide yourself in Him. Hide His Word in your heart. Preach it first to yourself then to others.

Follow David’s advice in verse 8 of this Psalm.
Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah

No comments:

Post a Comment