Saturday, October 4, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - October 4, 2014 - Psalm 61


When I was a boy I was not allowed to cry. My father wanted me to be tough and in his view crying was not something tough guys did. If you know the story of David you would agree that there probably wasn’t a braver man on the earth. Even as a young boy David faced down Goliath while the big, tough men were too afraid and did nothing. What was David’s secret? He was man after God’s heart. He understood that the secret to life is to have a have spiritual life which involves prayer as the key. In Psalm 61 David literally cries out to God.

Psalm 61:1
Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer;

The word used for cry here speaks of a piercing type of utterance, a cry that rings out like a wail. David prays here to His God in a desperate appeal. His appeal is based on his knowledge of who God is and that He is our refuge of strength.

Psalm 61:2-3
…from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.

The King James uses the phrase “my heart is overwhelmed” in place of “my heart is faint.” David is away from home and feeling desperate for God’s protection and His comfort. But notice how David understands life from that eternal perspective.

Psalm 61:4
Let me dwell in your tent forever! Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings! Selah

David speaks here of an eternal dwelling. As he speaks of the shelter of God’s wings, he was remembering the sacred ark which was covered by the wings of the cherubim that covered the ark and there lie the mercy seat. David looked past the Old Testament sacrifices and knew this was a spiritual picture that spoke of the coming messiah. Jesus is the rock and His blood forever covers our sin. No longer do men need to go yearly to the mercy seat and have temporary dwelling with God. Through Jesus we can dwell with God forever in this life and in eternity.

To those who place their faith in Christ comes the heritage of God.

Galatians 4:4-7
But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.

This is what David looks forward to.

Psalm 61:5-6
For you, O God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name. Prolong the life of the king; may his years endure to all generations!

There is no safer place to be than in Christ.

Psalm 61:7
May he be enthroned forever before God; appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!

David knew it. So he prayed and then He worshiped and praised God.

Psalm 61:8
So will I ever sing praises to your name, as I perform my vows day after day.

Do you know it? Do you know Jesus? No matter how desperate things are, no matter how much of a mess you have made of your life, cry out to God through Jesus. Wail, weep, fall on your knees and pray. Admit you are afraid, lost, and that you do not know the way. He will show you the way.

John 6:40
For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."

It’s ok to cry. It’s ok to pray. If you humble yourselves in this way Jesus will save you from this world and give you a place to dwell in eternity. Now there is something to rejoice in.

No comments:

Post a Comment