Saturday, October 18, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - October 18, 2014 - Day 71 - Psalm 71


There is an old saying “If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.” I can relate. It seems every day I wake up with a new pain. Just two weeks from my birthday and I feel much older. The author who penned Psalm 71 spoke of the later years of life from as a man of God who from birth had trusted in God. He knew from experience that God was His place of refuge.

Psalm 71:1-3
In you, O LORD, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame! In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me, and save me! Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come; you have given the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.


When we were young our battles seemed easier but as we age they do not end.

Psalm 71:4
Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of the unjust and cruel man.

The daily battles of life go on as we age. I wish I had placed my trust in Christ at an early age as this man had.

Psalm 71:5-6
For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O LORD, from my youth. Upon you I have leaned from before my birth; you are he who took me from my mother's womb. My praise is continually of you.

I am just a baby when it comes to praising God. I feel as if I have so much to learn in how I bring Him worship.

Psalm 71:7-8
I have been as a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge. My mouth is filled with your praise, and with your glory all the day.

Behind all of our troubles in life is our enemy, Satan. And the world we live in seems every day to become more and more against those of us who desire to follow Christ. Sometimes I just wake up and don’t feel I have the strength to go. I am battle weary.

Psalm 71:9-11
Do not cast me off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength is spent. For my enemies speak concerning me; those who watch for my life consult together and say, "God has forsaken him; pursue and seize him, for there is none to deliver him."

Like the psalmist it is in God we must trust for every day will bring its troubles.

Psalm 71:12-13
O God, be not far from me; O my God, make haste to help me! May my accusers be put to shame and consumed; with scorn and disgrace may they be covered who seek my hurt.

But there is a wonderful aspect of old age; that is that I have experience. I have watched God through the years be faithful in His provision. I have seen the power of prayer and watched the hand of God move in impossible ways. The older I get the more witness I have to share with others. The more praise I have to lift up to Him. God has done even more in my life than I can remember.

Psalm 71:14-16
But I will hope continually and will praise you yet more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge. With the mighty deeds of the Lord GOD I will come; I will remind them of your righteousness, yours alone.

Each morning I awake I thank Him for one more day of life. I pray continuously for Jesus to help me in my weakness. I let the Holy Spirit guide my prayers.

Psalm 71:17-19
O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come. Your righteousness, O God, reaches the high heavens. You who have done great things, O God, who is like you?

Yes some days are harder than others. Some days I struggle to find the strength to get out of bed. I find it hard to keep living. I am tired. My body aches. My mind seems confused. But God is not through with me yet. I pray for strength. I remember how He revives and heals.

Psalm 71:20-21
You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again. You will increase my greatness and comfort me again.

Old age has taught me much. It has taught me the answer is Jesus. The answer to every question lies in my faith in Him and in the power of His Word. That must be the message I proclaim. One way I find comfort is to plug in my worship music and sing out to God.

Psalm 71:22-23
I will also praise you with the harp for your faithfulness, O my God; I will sing praises to you with the lyre, O Holy One of Israel. My lips will shout for joy, when I sing praises to you; my soul also, which you have redeemed.

In my youth I felt invincible. I was strong and brash, unafraid of anything and anyone. Praise god He has humbled me in that. Oh, sometimes I still think I’m tough. But God reminds me quickly how weak I am. I’m ok with that now. 2 Corinthians 13:9 is my comfort in weakness for it says, “For we rejoice when we ourselves are weak but you are strong; this we also pray for, that you be made complete.”

My enemies have no victory for I have Jesus to fight the fight. The victory is won. That shall be my cry even unto death from this life unto the next.

Psalm 71:24
My tongue also will utter Your righteousness all day long; For they are ashamed, for they are humiliated who seek my hurt.

Thank you Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment