Wednesday, October 1, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - October 1 - Day 59 - Psalm 59



Unlike David most of us don't have enemies that literally seek to kill us. But that does not lessen the struggles we face in life. Often time at work or even in family it feels like there is someone who wants to hurt us. Emotional hurt can be as scary as physical threats. Like David felt we often feel as if we are being hunted down by dogs that want to tear us apart. No matter what danger we face in life we can call out to God.

Psalm 59:1-3
TO THE CHOIRMASTER: ACCORDING TO DO NOT DESTROY. A MIKTAM OF DAVID, WHEN SAUL SENT MEN TO WATCH HIS HOUSE IN ORDER TO KILL HIM. Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; protect me from those who rise up against me; deliver me from those who work evil, and save me from bloodthirsty men. For behold, they lie in wait for my life; fierce men stir up strife against me. For no transgression or sin of mine, O LORD,

Like David maybe we didn’t even do anything wrong.

Psalm 59:3-4
For behold, they lie in wait for my life; fierce men stir up strife against me. For no transgression or sin of mine, O LORD, for no fault of mine, they run and make ready. Awake, come to meet me, and see!

God sees. He knows our hurts and our struggles. Unlike us He knows which of our enemies are just plain wicked and have no intention of ever changing their evil ways and He knows that some of those who hurt us are His own children. In this psalm David calls out for judgment to come down hard on his enemies. We can rest easy knowing that God will bring His justice to those who completely mock at His power and control.

Psalm 59:8
But you, O LORD, laugh at them; you hold all the nations in derision.

David knew that even though the dogs still prowled around him licking their lips, God would protect him.

Psalm 59:9-10
O my Strength, I will watch for you, for you, O God, are my fortress. My God in his steadfast love will meet me; God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.

Yes they lie and they curse at us. David prays for God’s justice upon them.

Psalm 59:11-13
Kill them not, lest my people forget; make them totter by your power and bring them down, O Lord, our shield! For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips, let them be trapped in their pride. For the cursing and lies that they utter, consume them in wrath; consume them till they are no more, that they may know that God rules over Jacob to the ends of the earth. Selah

He knew they were relentless.

Psalm 59:14-15
Each evening they come back, howling like dogs and prowling about the city. They wander about for food and growl if they do not get their fill.

But he also knew where the strength lies and where he could find a fortress. So he praises God throughout the days.

Psalm 59:16-17
But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.

Are you surrounded by enemies who lie and curse at you as they prowl about seeking to devour you? Sing praises to God. He is your fortress. He is your refuge. Bask in His steadfast love. Justice will be done. Either Jesus pays the penalty at Calvary or we pay the penalty in hell. I choose to confess sometimes I am like a prowling dog and ask Jesus to cover my sin with His blood. I ask the Holy Spirit to create in me a new heart and to resurrect me to new life in Christ. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment