Monday, July 24, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 31


Christians worry way too much what other people think about them. Now I’m not saying that we shouldn’t be extremely concerned how the world sees us. Jesus was clear; we are supposed to shine His light while on this earth. The best witness to the glory of God and the to the Gospel of Jesus, is our lives. When people see us, they ought to be seeing images of Christ. But when the world talks badly of us and mocks us, we should also act as Christ did. We should stand firm in the joy of our salvation. More importantly, we should not find our esteem in what others say about us, we should find our esteem in our identification with Christ. We should be worried about what God thinks; not man. God’s Word in Isaiah 51:7 says that we should “fear not the reproach of man, nor be dismayed at their reviling’s.” Isaiah 8:13 adds this, “The LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread...”

Psalm 31 is another psalm that finds David again displaying distress over those who are against Him. Yet he knows upon who to turn.

Psalm 31:1-2
In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness.  Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

David puts His trust in his rock.

Psalm 31:3-5
Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.  Free me from the trap that is set for me, for you are my refuge.  Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth.

Sometimes we let our feelings fool us. Our enemy, Satan, reminds us of our unworthiness. Our sin will break us down.

Psalm 31:10
For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones waste away.

David knew this feeling. But he also knew the answer.

Psalm 31:9
Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also.

David knew the answer was God’s Grace.

Psalm 31:14-16
But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, “You are my God.”  My times are in your hand; rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors!  Make your face shine on your servant; save me in your steadfast love!

Our times are in God’s hand. Yes, God will allow us to fall under His hand of discipline in our proclivity to sin. But in Christ, we are forgiven and restored when we, as David does, humble ourselves in confession.

Psalm 31:19-22
Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind!  In the cover of your presence you hide them from the plots of men; you store them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.  Blessed be the LORD, for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me when I was in a besieged city.  I had said in my alarm, “I am cut off from your sight.” But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy when I cried to you for help.

Stop being concerned with the enemy and set your eyes upon Christ. He will restore you when it is time. Wait upon the Lord.


Psalm 31:23-24
Love the LORD, all you his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.  Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment