Friday, July 21, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 28


Psalm 28 finds David, once again, seeking God’s help. It is a cry out to God and in it we sense David is wondering why God has not acted yet. Listen to his desperate plea.

Psalm 28:1-2
To you, O LORD, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me, lest, if you be silent to me, I become like those who go down to the pit.  Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to you for help, when I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary.

David knows that God is his rock and without God’s hand upon him, he will fail. David knows that a key component of prayer, is praise. He lifts his hands up to Him.

Next David appeals for God’s justice to come down upon those who reject Him.

Psalm 28:3-5
Do not drag me off with the wicked, with the workers of evil, who speak peace with their neighbors while evil is in their hearts.  Give to them according to their work and according to the evil of their deeds; give to them according to the work of their hands; render them their due reward.  Because they do not regard the works of the LORD or the work of his hands, he will tear them down and build them up no more.

Despite the teachings of the liberal church, who focus only upon God’s love, God is a just god, a god who will not tolerate blatant rejection of His law.

David does hear from God and this lifts his spirits. He responds with more praise.

Psalm 28:6-7
Blessed be the LORD! For he has heard the voice of my pleas for mercy.  The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.

The next time you feel as if God has deserted you and He is not hearing your prayers, do what David did. Lift your hands to God in praise despite your circumstances. Keep praying, but pray in faith until God answers your prayer, one way or the other. Remember, God is not your magic genie. God is moving things in this world that we have no understanding of. He will answer. But the answer might not be what you asked. It’s His will that is done, not ours.

Psalm 28:8-9
The LORD is the strength of his people; he is the saving refuge of his anointed.  Oh, save your people and bless your heritage! Be their shepherd and carry them forever.

Follow the Good Shepherd. He is the strength of His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment