Saturday, July 15, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 22

The Forsaken One

The opening words of Psalm 22 remind me of a cry I’ve heard from many Christians over the years.

Psalm 22:1-2
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?  O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest.

The truth for the Christian is that God never forsakes you. God made a promise in Hebrews 13:5 that says directly, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” The Bible tells us that “It is impossible for God to lie (Hebrews 6:18), so we know that we can believe in that. Psalm 22 is a messianic psalm that presents the “why” a Christian can hold on to this promise.

Because of our vast nature of sinfulness, we cannot be in the presence of our Holy God. But because of what Christ did, as represented in this Psalm, we are imputed His righteousness, for He took our place and paid the ultimate price. Psalm 22 is a picture of the suffering of Christ on the cross.

It was Jesus who cried out, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?”

Psalm 22:6-7
But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people.  All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads.

It was Jesus whom the world scorns, even today. How often we hear the world use in name in vain. How sad this is and it ought to break our hearts every time we hear His name so maligned, for it is our sin that brought Him to the cross.

Psalm 22:16-18
For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet—  I can count all my bones— they stare and gloat over me; they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.

Imagine the shame Jesus bore for us.

So, you feel God has abandoned you? He has not.

Psalm 22:24
For he has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, and he has not hidden his face from him, but has heard, when he cried to him.

He has promised you never to forsake you. He sent His Holy Spirit to live in you. He preserved His Holy Word and it is there that you should turn, for it is there He speaks. It is there He promises and there He provides comfort.

God is in control.

Psalm 22:27-28
All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you.  For kingship belongs to the LORD, and he rules over the nations.

So, the next time your feelings lead you to self-pity and you think He has forsaken you, open your Bible. Pray. Praise and worship Him. Proclaim Jesus to those around you. Tell the story of how He was forsaken of God on the cross in your place. Put your faith in Him and Him alone.


Psalm 22:30-31
Posterity shall serve him; it shall be told of the Lord to the coming generation; they shall come and proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn, that he has done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment