Saturday, July 1, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 11

What To Do When the Foundation Is Destroyed 

Though the historical setting of this psalm is unknown, it is clear David is in one of those times of danger in his life that many of us can relate to. Psalm 11 suggests there is counsel to David to run, but David knows that it is better to be in the arms of the Lord, then to run and be alone.

Psalm 11:1-2
In the LORD I take refuge; how can you say to my soul, “Flee like a bird to your mountain, for behold, the wicked bend the bow; they have fitted their arrow to the string to shoot in the dark at the upright in heart.

Then David asks a question that we should all consider.

Psalm 11:3
If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?”

Without a foundation buildings collapse. In my life, I started building on the wrong foundation. I built my life on the things of the world and by the time I was in my thirties, it had become clear I had built on sand. I can remember vividly the day I knew I was in trouble. Depression and hopelessness had come upon me. I remember getting out of my truck after work and hearing a voice, not inside my head but an audible voice, and the message was clear, “Kill yourself.” So, I followed the counsel of the world and went into therapy. I took the medications prescribed. But the counsel, though spoken with good intentions, was not the counsel I would need.

Rather than follow the worldly advice to flee, David went to God. This is the answer David gives as to what to do if the foundations are destroyed.

Psalm 11:4-7
The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD’s throne is in heaven; his eyes see, his eyelids test the children of man. The LORD tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence. Let him rain coals on the wicked; fire and sulfur and a scorching wind shall be the portion of their cup. For the LORD is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.

David turned to God in faith. He believed God would deliver him. He believed the wicked and the violent enemy would be judged by the Lord. He beheld His face.

I spent a year fleeing to the mountain of the world’s answer to my depression and hopelessness. Then one day I heard a new voice. A quiet whisper in the midst of my storm. The Holy Spirit was calling to me. He told me to buy a Bible and begin reading it. So, I did. At first I couldn’t understand any of it. It was a King James Version and I had started in Genesis. Too many thee’s and thou’s. But I stayed the course. Finally arriving in the Book of Job I understood something. God is sovereign. He is in control. Even the works of the Devil are under God’s complete authority. He can do nothing, unless God gives him permission. Like Abraham, I believed God. Galatians 3:6 tells us that “Abraham “believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” This is the Gospel. This is what Jesus will do for you if you believe God, if you put all your faith in Christ and Christ alone.

I’d like to say my life is perfect now, but it’s not. I still wrestle with the demons of depression. I still face my own times of fear. Sometimes it seems the enemy is about to overwhelm me. But no longer am I without hope. No matter the storm or the violence of the winds, my house stands firm for it is on a solid foundation.

Jesus explains this in Matthew 7:24-27

“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.
And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”

Are you like David? Are you surrounded by the enemy and feel like fleeing to the mountains? Maybe it’s your marriage and its falling apart. Maybe it’s your health. Maybe it’s an addiction. It doesn’t matter. Don’t run. Start this very moment and build a new foundation. Build on the rock. That rock is Jesus.

1 Corinthians 10:4
For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.


The Lord is in His holy temple. And if you are a Christian, that temple is you. He is not far at all. He is righteous and He loves righteous deeds. So, behold His face. That, my friends, is what to do when the foundation collapses. Build on the rock. Then your house will stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment