Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 25


There are a lot of good things in the world to learn from. There are great books. There are good schools and many good teachers we can turn to. There are television shows to watch that speak about the things of life. We have so-called experts in many positions that we turn to as we seek to navigate this life, such as counselors and psychologists. The church has leaders and elders to go to for counsel. But the final authority and the only real source of truth, is God and His Word. This life is so very hard. But God has not left us alone.

David wrote this psalm in the midst of a difficult life. He knew upon who to turn.

Psalm 25:1-3
To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul.  O my God, in you I trust; let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me.  Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame; they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.

He made God His source of help.

Psalm 25:4-5
Make me to know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths.  Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.

The world will tell you that you are a good person who deserves more. Even some pastors preach this false message. David recognized his own sinfulness. He knew he need the salvation and forgiveness only God can provide.

Psalm 25:6-10
Remember your mercy, O LORD, and your steadfast love, for they have been from of old. Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O LORD!  Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in the way.  He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way.  All the paths of the LORD are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.

David knew that God gives mercy and grace, not to those who think they deserve anything good, but to those who know God does it for His name’s sake.

Psalm 25:11
For your name’s sake, O LORD, pardon my guilt, for it is great.

David knew that we must fear the Lord, not man.

Psalm 25:12-14
Who is the man who fears the LORD? Him will he instruct in the way that he should choose.  His soul shall abide in well-being, and his offspring shall inherit the land.  The friendship of the LORD is for those who fear him, and he makes known to them his covenant.

David knew that he could turn to God and cry out in prayer telling Him the things that he struggled with. We have the same struggles.

Psalm 25:16-19
Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.  The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses.  Consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins.  Consider how many are my foes, and with what violent hatred they hate me.

Those who entrust their lives to Jesus are never alone. Even when we fail and sin, God is there. The work of Christ on the cross settled our sin problem forever.

So, turn to Jesus as David did. Take your refuge in Him.

Psalm 25:20-21
Oh, guard my soul, and deliver me! Let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for you.


Wait on God. Jesus is coming back and when He does He will make all this right. Until then trust in Him. Take refuge in Him. Fear God and God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment