Saturday, July 8, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 18

Seek First the Kingdom of God and All These Things Will Be Given To You As Well

If any, one verse in the scriptures describes Psalm 18, I believe it to be Matthew 6:33, "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” David wrote this psalm out of love for God after He delivered David from his enemies. There is an important message for us here and it cannot be discounted. It is a psalm of worship and praise. David begins with that idea.

Psalm 18:1-3
I love you, O LORD, my strength.  The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.

When we come to Christ in faith and receive Him as our Savior, then God becomes our rock, our refuge, our shield, our stronghold, and our horn of salvation, just as He was David’s. We are saved by faith and faith alone, but our relationship with God does not stop there. Though our salvation is secured by Christ, we then have work to do. David begins by telling God he loves Him. Do you tell God you love Him? Listen to what Jesus says about loving Him.

John 14:15
"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

Loving God means obedience to His commandments and they are found in His Word.

David describes the terrible situation that he was in in verses 4 and 5 of this psalm. Many of us can relate, as we too, have faced trials of our own, situations that look impossible. David knows the one who can do the impossible, for with God, all things are possible. He calls on God.

Psalm 18:6
In my distress I called upon the LORD, And cried to my God for help; He heard my voice out of His temple, And my cry for help before Him came into His ears.

And God shows up in a mighty way.

Psalm 18:7
Then the earth shook and quaked; And the foundations of the mountains were trembling And were shaken, because He was angry.

God is in control of all things. Read through this psalm to read of the powers of God over the world. And He does come to help those who humble themselves before Him.

Psalm 18:16-19
He sent from on high, He took me; He drew me out of many waters.  He delivered me from my strong enemy, And from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.  They confronted me in the day of my calamity, But the LORD was my stay.  He brought me forth also into a broad place; He rescued me, because He delighted in me.

Why did God show up in a such a mighty way in response to David’s prayers?

Psalm 18:20-24
The LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness; According to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me.  For I have kept the ways of the LORD, And have not wickedly departed from my God.  For all His ordinances were before me, And I did not put away His statutes from me.  I was also blameless with Him, And I kept myself from my iniquity.  Therefore the LORD has recompensed me according to my righteousness, According to the cleanness of my hands in His eyes.

David is not bragging here about being sinless. He is talking about humility, a humility that says to God, “Your ways are right and my desire to submit to your law is what brings your hand of blessings.”

Our salvation is based on faith in Christ and that alone. But our blessings are tied to our love for God and that love is revealed in obedience. That is what Jesus means in Matthew 6:33. Seek first His kingdom and righteousness. In this psalm David is speaking about “all these things” that “will be given to you as well,” as Jesus speaks of. When we seek a life of submission to God’s ways, as the Bible tells us to, then the we can live a life without worry and anxiety.

Read the things God did for David as he praises God again in the end of this psalm.

Psalm 18:47-50
The God who executes vengeance for me, And subdues peoples under me.  He delivers me from my enemies; Surely You lift me above those who rise up against me; You rescue me from the violent man.  Therefore I will give thanks to You among the nations, O LORD, And I will sing praises to Your name.  He gives great deliverance to His king, And shows lovingkindness to His anointed, To David and his descendants forever.


Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. Then all these things will be given to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment