Thursday, July 6, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 16

Finding Joy In Christ

Psalm 16 is a look at the joy of being a Christian. It is Messianic in nature, being quoted by Peter and by Paul in the Book of Acts, where they say it refers to Jesus. We can certainly take great joy in its truths as we read through it.

Psalm 16:1-2
Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You. I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good besides You."

Being with Jesus is the only safe place to be. Everything we have in this life that is good, has come from God.

Psalm 16:5-6
The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You support my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.

Because of Jesus, we are adopted into the family of God. The riches of that inheritance are eternal and beyond our wildest dreams.

Psalm 16:7
I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.

Even when trials come upon us, we are blessed if we are His. It is in the darkest of nights, when it seems we cannot see our way any longer, that God purifies us through His loving hand of discipline. In Hebrews 12:6 Paul quotes Proverbs 3:11-12:

My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.

The secret to how to get through trials, is to Praise God and have faith that He is with you and is doing a good work in you.

Joseph said it best in Genesis 50:20

"As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive.

Live in the truth of Romans 8:28

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Next David reminds us of the truth of the hope of resurrection.

Psalm 16:8-11
 
I have set the LORD continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will dwell securely.
For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay. You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

When Jesus died on the cross and then rose at the tomb, He overcame death through His resurrection. If we are His, then death should bring no fear to us. For we, like Christ, shall not see decay. Instead death is only our vehicle to go to Jesus in. We share in the resurrection.

So, rejoice in the promises we have in Christ. Stand firm in Him. Set the Lord before you continually and you shall not be shaken. Let Jesus make known to you the path of life. Stay close to Him, for in Him is the fullness of joy. In His right hand, there are pleasures forever.


Praise be to our Lord, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment