Saturday, September 6, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - September 6, 2014 – Day 39 - Psalm 39

In Psalm 39 David continues where he left off in 38; addressing his sin. His opening statement is a good reminder of how often we sin by simply opening our mouths. The Bible has much to say about the danger of our words in harming others. The Book of James is a good place to start. James speaks of the tongue in the following passages:

 James 1:26, “If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.”
 James 3:5-9
“So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God.”


David likewise knew the dangerous power of our tongue.
Psalm 39:1
“I said, "I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth with a muzzle, so long as the wicked are in my presence."


David had good reason to speak out against his enemies. But notice what David did instead.
Psalm 39:2-4
“I was mute and silent; I held my peace to no avail, and my distress grew worse.
My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue:
"O LORD, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!”


Instead of allowing his burning ire to allow him to strike out at others, he goes to God and asks Him to remind him how short life is. Oh how better off we would be if we remembered how little some of the stuff we get angry about matters.
David goes on to seek the mercy of God in light of his own sin. He cries out for a savior.

Psalm 39:7-8
"And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions. Do not make me the scorn of the fool!”
David knows there is consequences for sin and that God has the right to discipline us. So David asks for forgiveness and deliverance.

Psalm 39:9-11
“I am mute; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it.
Remove your stroke from me; I am spent by the hostility of your hand.
When you discipline a man with rebukes for sin, you consume like a moth what is dear to him; surely all mankind is a mere breath! Selah
David also lifts his prayers up with his tears. He knows his own frailty and appeals to God recognizing life is short.

Psalm 39:12-13
"Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry; hold not your peace at my tears! For I am a sojourner with you, a guest, like all my fathers. Look away from me, that I may smile again, before I depart and am no more!"
Like David we need to step back in our anger and frustration and cry out to Jesus. Life is too short. Let it go. Forgive others and move on. There is no joy in bitterness. There is great joy in forgiveness for when we live that out we become like Jesus. Then we can have joy no matter the circumstances.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment