Wednesday, September 10, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - September 10, 2014 - Day 43 - Psalm 43


The vicissitudes of life play havoc with those of us who struggle with depression. As a Christian I know my hope lies in Christ and I know my hope is true. Yet the battle for joy has more ups and downs than an elevator in a busy office building. The author of Psalm 43 understood this truth. Many commentators believe Psalm 43 is a continuation of Psalm 42. In it he seeks vindication and deliverance from an ungodly world. So do us Christians.

Psalm 43:1
Vindicate me, O God, and defend my cause against an ungodly people, from the deceitful and unjust man deliver me!

We know we can only find it in God, yet sometimes we feel as if He is far away from us. We feel even the God who created us has rejected us.

Psalm 43:2
For you are the God in whom I take refuge; why have you rejected me? Why do I go about mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?

So we plead with God to lead us back to His holy hill. We desire His truth.

Psalm 43:3
Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling!

The psalmist asks for light and truth. That is what our hearts pine for as well. But even in the darkest of days God has not left our side. He has promised to never leave us. Hebrews 13:5 says that He will never leave nor forsake us. It is a New Testament repeat of Deuteronomy 31:6 which says “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." God has given us the scriptures. In them are the light and the truth for they speak of Christ. Let them lead you. Let them lead you to the altar of God.

Psalm 43:4
Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy, and I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God.

As you go to His altar come unto Him with reverence, with praise, and with worship. Sing it out.

This psalm finishes exactly as Psalm 42.

Psalm 43:5
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.

The answer to my depression and the answer to my turmoil is to hope in God. Yes, dark days shall come. Tears shall fall and at times we shall feel as if we are all alone. We are not. You are not. Jesus is there. If your soul is cast down today open His Word. Then open your heart to Him in prayer. Tell Him what hurts. Ask Him to heal you. Then wait upon Him and lift Him up in praise. He will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment