Friday, September 19, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - September 19, 2014 – Day 51 - Psalm 51

 
As Christians we like to declare ourselves saved. But do we fully grasp just what it is we are saved from? The Gospel is good news but first one must understand the bad news before fully taking hold of the good news. David wrote Psalm 51 as the horrors of his own sinfulness brought him deserved shame, guilt, and anxiety. First he cries out to God with a repentant heart.

Psalm 51:1-2
TO THE CHOIRMASTER. A PSALM OF DAVID, WHEN NATHAN THE PROPHET WENT TO HIM, AFTER HE HAD GONE IN TO BATHSHEBA. Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!

Notice the three words David uses for sin. First he calls it a transgression. Transgression carries the meaning of rebellion and a breach of trust. Next he calls it iniquity. The word iniquity speaks of perversity and depravity. Then the final word he uses is simply sin. Sin speaks of missing the mark; a falling short of what God requires of us.

Then David recognizes a very important truth about sin. It goes much farther than hurting another person; when we sin it is most of all an iniquity against God and His holiness.

Psalm 51:3-4
For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment.

Even if no one sees our sin it us always with us and God sees every act we both do and think. From birth we arrive into this life as sinners.

Psalm 51:5
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.

David does not excuse his sin; he owns up to it in this psalm. He recognizes sin runs deep in us; it is a matter of the heart.

Psalm 51:6
Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

As David continues to cry out to God we find in his prayer for cleansing 6 effects of sin.

First sin defiles us and makes us dirty. We need cleansing.

Psalm 51:7
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Secondly sin will make us deaf. Sin will prevent us from hearing from God and we will miss out on joy.

Psalm 51:8
Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice.

Thirdly sin brings disgrace. We find ourselves far from God because we do not want Him to see our sin. We are ashamed.

Psalm 51:9
Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.

Fourth sin damages our heart and it breaks our spirit down.

Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

The ultimate fear of the sinner is to be separated from God and to have the Holy Spirit leave us. The promises of the New Testament are that Jesus will never leave us and His Spirit will abide in us forever (see John 14:16). But sin will cause us to doubt the promises of scripture.

Psalm 51:11
Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me.

Sin will cause depression. Your therapist and your psychiatrist won’t tell you this. They will sell you pills and tell you alright and a good person. Scripture paints a different picture. It tells us we are sinners and need a savior. Yes your sin will bring depression.

Psalm 51:12
Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.

But through those six effects of sin David knew the answer was to be found in God’s renewing work. He knew there was more to all this than the law; there was grace to be found in the coming messiah.

Psalm 51:12
Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.

David knew that the Gospel was the answer. He knew that God would renew his spirit and that he could share the good news.

Psalm 51:13-14
Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, O God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness.

David knew the first sacrifice to be offered to God must come from a humble heart that is broken over its own sinfulness. He understood confession and dependence on God was the path to salvation.

Psalm 51:14-17
Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, O God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness. O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

David understood that once we come to God in heartfelt repentance and sorrow over our sin that God would then heap mercy and grace on him and then he could find joy in praise and in service to God.

Psalm 51:18-19
Do good to Zion in your good pleasure; build up the walls of Jerusalem; then will you delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on your altar.

Come to Jesus today and confess your sin and your need for His salvation. Praise Him for his grace and mercy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment