Saturday, September 27, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - September 27, 2014 – Day 56 - Psalm 56


I God I Trust. Psalm 56 is a song written by David at a time when he was in a very dangerous place. He was afraid. Fear can paralyze us. But the Bible is clear that God’s children should not be afraid. Scripture instructs us to not fear at least 365 times. That means there is never a day that fear should paralyze us if we are trusting in God. We must sing out in prayer to God when we are afraid.

Psalm 56:1-3
Be gracious to me, O God, for man has trampled upon me; Fighting all day long he oppresses me. My foes have trampled upon me all day long, For they are many who fight proudly against me. When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You.

Hebrews 13:5-6 quotes this psalm saying “…be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?"

Jesus expounds on this in the Gospel of Luke with a promise.

"I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that have no more that they can do. "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him! "Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? Yet not one of them is forgotten before God. "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.” - Luke 12:4-7

David knew in whom to trust.

Psalm 56:4
In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me?

His enemy was real. His enemy told lies about him and then plotted to kill him.

Psalm 56:5-6
All day long they distort my words; All their thoughts are against me for evil. They attack, they lurk, They watch my steps, As they have waited to take my life.

He prayed God would take action, action in anger.

Psalm 56:7
Because of wickedness, cast them forth, In anger put down the peoples, O God!

David knew God watched over him. God knows where we are. God loves us so much He even keeps our tears in bottle. He knows our sorrows.

Psalm 56:8
You have taken account of my wanderings; Put my tears in Your bottle. Are they not in Your book?

God is faithful and like David we can live our lives free of fear no matter where we are or what we face.

Psalm 56:9-11
Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call; This I know, that God is for me. In God, whose word I praise, In the LORD, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust, I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?

David believed God’s promises. We have the same promises and God has given us His Holy Word to look back on when we start to waver. We must read, study, and commit to memory His Word. Faith is our end of the bargain; God will handle the rest. He has put His Holy Spirit within us to guide and lead us. We must follow Him into the light. We must praise Him always even when we feel the most fear.

Psalm 56:12-13
Your vows are binding upon me, O God; I will render thank offerings to You. For You have delivered my soul from death, Indeed my feet from stumbling, So that I may walk before God In the light of the living.

Trust in God. In God we trust. He will help us walk in the light of the living.

No comments:

Post a Comment