Monday, September 8, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - September 8, 2014 – Day 41 - Psalm 41


Did you know that when we give to the poor it is the same as loaning to God? According to Proverbs 19:17, “Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will repay him for his deed.”
Psalm 41 continues this theme.
Psalm 41:1
“Blessed is the one who considers the poor!”
The theme of this psalm is mercy and in it we find 7 things God will do for those who show mercy to others.
1. The Lord delivers him in times of trouble. (v1)
2. The Lord protects him. (v2a)
3. The Lord keeps him alive. (v2b)
4. The Lord will bless him in the land. (v2c)
5. The Lord will not surrender him to his enemies. (v2d)
6. The Lord will sustain him on his sickbed. (v3a)
7. The Lord will restore him to health. (v3b)
Yes my friends there is good reason to be merciful to the poor for Blessed is the one who considers the poor!”
To those who call Jesus Lord, well, we have received a vast supply of mercy. When David wrote this psalm he was looking forward to Christ and His mercy. But David knew that he must humble himself before God in confession.
Psalm 41:4
“As for me, I said, "O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you!"
David not only faced illness here but in this time of weakness his enemies want him dead. But so did his close friend. It is bad enough to have enemies that want harm to come to you but there is nothing worse than betrayal of a close friend.
Psalm 41:5-9
“My enemies say of me in malice, "When will he die and his name perish?"
And when one comes to see me, he utters empty words, while his heart gathers iniquity; when he goes out, he tells it abroad. All who hate me whisper together about me; they imagine the worst for me. They say, "A deadly thing is poured out on him; he will not rise again from where he lies." Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.”
Jesus could relate. He would quote this psalm in John 13:18 as He spoke of the betrayal to come from Judas.
We can rest in faith in our times of trouble; be they illness or when others come against us. Like David we must cry out to God in our prayers.
Psalm 41:10-11
“But you, O LORD, be gracious to me, and raise me up, that I may repay them!
By this I know that you delight in me: my enemy will not shout in triumph over me.”
Again we see that David speaks of the coming messiah, Jesus, in whom all of us sinners can be seen as righteous by the covering of His blood.
Psalm 41:12
“But you have upheld me because of my integrity, and set me in your presence forever.”
David’s integrity like ours can only be the integrity derived of the imputed blood of Christ.
So let us lift Him up in praise today.
Psalm 41:13
“Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting! Amen and Amen.”
 Consider the poor brothers and sisters in Christ. For when we start there by showing mercy we can live the blessed life. For “Blessed is the one who considers the poor!”
 
 
 
 
 
 
                                                                                                                                                                
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment