Tuesday, December 16, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - December 16, 2014 - Day 124 - Psalm 124


Depression is one of those things unless you suffer from it you will never truly understand it. I am not talking about feeling sad after the death of a loved one or struggling through a season of despair after losing your job. Everyone experiences that type of depression. It is normal and it will pass. I am talking about a wave of despair that comes upon you suddenly and for no good reason. Those of us who suffer the true illness of depression know what it’s like to be having the best day of your life when suddenly out of the blue all you want to do is die. All you want to do is cry and hide in a closet. The last thing you want is for someone to tell you to cheer up. Psalm 124 reminds me of my personal battle with depression and with how that battle is won. Whatever your battle is in life and we all have them; who do you turn to when the storm overtakes you? Look back now on your life and consider who it was that carried you through.

Psalm 124:1-5
A SONG OF ASCENTS. OF DAVID. If it had not been the LORD who was on our side— let Israel now say— if it had not been the LORD who was on our side when people rose up against us, then they would have swallowed us up alive, when their anger was kindled against us; then the flood would have swept us away, the torrent would have gone over us; then over us would have gone the raging waters.

If it were not for Jesus I would not be here today. I remember a day when my depression hit its peak and I heard a voice, I believe the voice of Satan or one of his demons, telling me to kill myself. I went into therapy and I was diagnosed as a bi-polar manic depressant with anti-social disorder. I went to a real shrink who put me on meds. I spent a year talking with some well-meaning young man who did nothing but tell me it was my mom’s fault I was like I was. The only hope I was given came in a bottle of pills. One day I stopped listening to people and began to hear God. From that day forward I have chosen to put my faith in the resurrection power of Christ and His Holy Spirit.

Psalm 124:6-7
Blessed be the LORD, who has not given us as prey to their teeth! We have escaped like a bird from the snare of the fowlers; the snare is broken, and we have escaped!

I wish I could say I was healed of my depression. I was not. Instead I am on a journey to live as the Apostle Paul speaks about in Philippians 4:12-13 saying, “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”

I have hope now and that hope is Jesus Christ. I also have an enemy who as the psalmist says at times rises up against me and like a flood of water threatens to drown me. But those are the days I am closest to Jesus. Those are the days I pray the most and I know they are the days my faith grows. Those are the days I remember where my help has always come from and they are the days I remember the future I have in Christ. Those are the days I agree with the psalmist.

Psalm 124:8
Our help is in the name of the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment