Thursday, December 11, 2014

THE PSALMS – A JOURNEY IN WORSHIP AND FAITH - December 11, 2014 - Day 119 - Psalm 119


If you have ever walked around in the dark then you know how dangerous it can be. It is scary to not know where you are going. Even in our own homes where we have walked many times if we get up in the night without a light we so often stub our toe, which causes great pain. We thought we knew the way but suddenly there it is the end of the dresser and in a second we are writhing in pain. Life is no different. Without the light of Christ illuminating our way we will hurt ourselves by walking in the dark. Psalm 119 is a song about the light God has provided. It is no coincidence that it is the longest psalm of all, for the importance of God’s Word, also known as His law, is paramount in our lives.

Psalm 119:1-3
Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD! Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart, who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways!

Happiness eludes the world for they do not follow the precepts of God. This psalm, though written by an author who probably was familiar with each of the 613 specific laws of the Mosaic Law, is speaking of the spiritual aspect of obedience. Though Christians are not bound by the Mosaic Law, we are bound by God’s moral law. While we are not saved by adherence to the moral law any more than we are by the Mosaic Law, obedience to God is the benchmark for testing the validity of our salvation. Jesus was clear in John 14:15
"If you love me, you will keep my commandments.”

God’s Word is the secret to life and to happiness. But how does one accomplish the task of being pure?

Psalm 119:9
How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.

How does one handle all the attacks against us as Christians, be they physical or be they verbal?

Psalm 119:23
Even though princes sit plotting against me, your servant will meditate on your statutes.

God has given us a light. In the Bible we find the way. Jesus is the way and Jesus is the Word.

John 1:1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Take time to read through Psalm 119. It is filled with the value of reading the Bible.

Here is a sample of the value of scripture.

Psalm 119:24
Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors.

Psalm 119:28
My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

Psalm 119:40-42
Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!  Let your steadfast love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise; then shall I have an answer for him who taunts me, for I trust in your word.

Psalm 119:66
Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe in your commandments.

Psalm 119:74
Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice, because I have hoped in your word.

Psalm 119:92-93
If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life.

Psalm 119:104-105
Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Friends we need the light of scripture to illuminate the path so we do not stumble.

The psalmist is committed to reading and obeying God’s Word. Psalm 119 teaches us the value of being like the psalmist. Yet understand that we fight a daily battle to obey Christ. Throughout this psalm its author has declared a commitment to know and obey God’s commandments. Hear the final words of the psalmist.

Psalm 119:166-176
I hope for your salvation, O LORD, and I do your commandments. My soul keeps your testimonies; I love them exceedingly. I keep your precepts and testimonies, for all my ways are before you. TAW Let my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding according to your word! Let my plea come before you; deliver me according to your word. My lips will pour forth praise, for you teach me your statutes. My tongue will sing of your word, for all your commandments are right. Let your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts. I long for your salvation, O LORD, and your law is my delight. Let my soul live and praise you, and let your rules help me. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I do not forget your commandments.

We must read our Bibles and we must love the commandments within it. We will fall short and like the psalmist we will at times wander like lost sheep. But we have a shepherd and He will not leave us to wander. Commit yourself to Him and His way. Trust in Jesus and believe in His Word. This, my friends, is the secret to happiness and contentment in these evil days we live in.

Read Psalm 119 and pray through it. Turn on the light of scripture daily and let it be a lamp to your feet and a light to your path.

No comments:

Post a Comment