Saturday, December 9, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 143


Psalm 143 is another prayer of David that offers application to us once again.

Psalm 143:1-2
Hear my prayer, O LORD; give ear to my pleas for mercy! In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!  Enter not into judgment with your servant, for no one living is righteous before you.

David recognized that he was a sinner and he approaches God on that basis. Like David, we need to seek God based on the righteousness of Christ, not on our own, for we have none. Paul would echo the words of David in Romans, chapter three, telling us that there is no one who is righteous on this earth. That is a truth that is repeated in Psalms 14 and 53, and we know that when God says something three times in scripture, it is a key element of truth we must take very serious. We need to come to God in prayer with a repentant heart.

Psalm 143:3-4
For the enemy has pursued my soul; he has crushed my life to the ground; he has made me sit in darkness like those long dead.  Therefore my spirit faints within me; my heart within me is appalled.

The enemy of the Christian is Satan. But to blame him for all of our sinful behavior and thoughts is not the Biblical viewpoint. We are sinners by nature and even if the devil was taken out of the world, we would still sin. What our enemy does do though, is he entices and tempts us to sin. One way he helps us stay in sin is to remind us of our past. Satan will tell us God doesn’t love us and try and convince us that we are not forgiven. He will bring up our past sins and try and keep us down with them. Listen to David’s prayer, as it continues.

Psalm 143:5-6
I remember the days of old; I meditate on all that you have done; I ponder the work of your hands.  I stretch out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land. Selah

David’s response to the past should be ours as well. Look back to the past and see what God has done for you. Look back to the cross and remember Christ died for all our sins and know that when we repent and confess, God removes them from His memory as the blood of Christ covers us and He sees us as righteous. Remember the simple truth of 1 John 1:9 which says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Follow the prayer pattern of David. He has confessed his sin and now goes boldly to the Throne of Grace. In Christ’s name, we can as well.

Psalm 143:7-10
Answer me quickly, O LORD! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit.  Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.  Deliver me from my enemies, O LORD! I have fled to you for refuge.  Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground!

Want to know God’s will for your life? Open His Holy Word and pray that the Holy Spirit reveals it to you.

Psalm 143:11
For your name’s sake, O LORD, preserve my life! In your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble!

Appeal to God for His name’s sake. Pray in the name of Jesus. Then thank Him for answering your prayers. David prayed in faith. That is how his prayer ends, by telling God that He trusts in Him to do these things.

Psalm 143:12
And in your steadfast love you will cut off my enemies, and you will destroy all the adversaries of my soul, for I am your servant.


This very moment if you feel as David did, then go to your knees and call on God. In His steadfast love, He will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment