Friday, December 8, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 142


Psalm 142 is a Makil psalm of David, which means it is a psalm that is to instruct us. Since it is also a prayer, we can see that it is meant to help us learn how we should pray.

Psalm 142:1-2
I cry aloud with my voice to the LORD; I make supplication with my voice to the LORD.  I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare my trouble before Him.

David wrote this from the cave, probably during the time he was hiding from Saul, who wanted him dead. If you ever suffered from depression and feelings of abandonment, then you can relate to David, for this was his state of mind. David was alone, so he cried out to God. Sometimes we simply need to get away and cry out aloud to God. We need to pour ourselves out to Him and simply declare what troubles us. Yes, He already knows our situation, but it shows our humility and our recognition of our complete dependence on Him when we pour ourselves out to in prayer.

Psalm 142:3
When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, You knew my path. In the way where I walk They have hidden a trap for me.

David was overwhelmed deeply inside his very spirit. He knows God knew where He was, yet David reminds God that he knows God knows. This is a form of worship. Going to God and telling Him we recognize God’s all-knowing power is part of how we express our worship.

Psalm 142:4
Look to the right and see; For there is no one who regards me; There is no escape for me; No one cares for my soul.

Most of us have been there. It seems as if no one cares. We think no one is there for us and there is no hope. Look at see what David says next.

Psalm 142:5-6
I cried out to You, O LORD; I said, "You are my refuge, My portion in the land of the living. "Give heed to my cry, For I am brought very low; Deliver me from my persecutors, For they are too strong for me.

He turns to God. He humbles himself and confesses it’s all too much.

Psalm 142:7
"Bring my soul out of prison, So that I may give thanks to Your name; The righteous will surround me, For You will deal bountifully with me."

David knows God will provide. He finishes this prayer with thanksgiving, having prayed in faith that God will deliver him and give him even more than he asked.


-->
This is a great lesson in faith for us all. Whatever the situation, pray and tell God where you are and how you feel. Then thank Him for answering your prayers. He will deal bountifully with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment