Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 140


We live in a violent world. Man likes to think he has progressed through the ages, but in terms of how we treat each other, nothing has changed. War continues to thrive across the earth, our cities continue to have high murder rates, and there is still physical abuse within the family. David wrote Psalm 140 under the shadow of attack by King Saul, a terribly violent king. This psalm has its historical context, it has a present-day context for us, and it has a future context in the allusion to the evil and violent anti-Christ of Revelation. I believe Bible study needs to have at its core objective, application to present day life, because as disciples of Jesus, we are students seeking to become like our Master. David gives us a prayer which we need to be praying.

Psalm 140:1-5
 Rescue me, O LORD, from evil men; Preserve me from violent men  Who devise evil things in their hearts; They continually stir up wars.  They sharpen their tongues as a serpent; Poison of a viper is under their lips. Selah.  Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; Preserve me from violent men Who have purposed to trip up my feet.  The proud have hidden a trap for me, and cords; They have spread a net by the wayside; They have set snares for me. Selah.

At the top of the list of enemies we find the devil. We know from Ephesians 6:12, our real battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the spiritual forces of evil. Thus, we must wear the spiritual armor. And prayer is a vital part of our warfare against evil.

Psalm 140:6-11
I said to the LORD, "You are my God; Give ear, O LORD, to the voice of my supplications.  "O GOD the Lord, the strength of my salvation, You have covered my head in the day of battle.
"Do not grant, O LORD, the desires of the wicked; Do not promote his evil device, that they not be exalted. Selah.  "As for the head of those who surround me, May the mischief of their lips cover them.  "May burning coals fall upon them; May they be cast into the fire, Into deep pits from which they cannot rise.  "May a slanderer not be established in the earth; May evil hunt the violent man speedily."

This is a prayer for evil to be held accountable to God. And God will recompense. But that is God’s work to do, not ours. Jesus also instructs us to pray for our enemies. He told us to love them, and to love them means we pray for their salvation.


Psalm 140:12-13
I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted And justice for the poor.  Surely the righteous will give thanks to Your name; The upright will dwell in Your presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment