Thursday, December 7, 2017

Studies in the Psalms - Psalm 141


If there is anything I am sure of in my personal quest to find God’s will for my life, it is that I am to be a man of prayer. I don’t know if everyone is called to intercessory prayer, but I have always believed that it is my call. But even if you are not called to that type of prayer, the Bible is clear that prayer must be a huge part of all believer’s lives. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 commands us to pray without ceasing. Psalm 141 is yet one more psalm in which we can see that David was a man of prayer.

Psalm 141:1-2
O LORD, I call upon you; hasten to me! Give ear to my voice when I call to you!  Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!

David wanted his prayer to be as incense before God. As high priest, Aaron would sprinkle incense on the altar and this is the spirit in which David wanted to come before God in prayer and worship. We, too, can come before Him, in Christ’s name, and make the same offering. But Jesus explained that we need to come before God with obedient hearts if we desire God to answer us. Listen to Jesus, as He instructs us to ask but also to obey.

John 14:13-15
Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.  “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

David sought an obedient life and his prayers reflect that.

Psalm 141:3-4
Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!  Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with men who work iniquity, and let me not eat of their delicacies!

We must pray for the Holy Spirit to help us in our quest for obedience. As Christians, we need also to hold each other accountable. Most of us dislike rebuke, yet David knew that he needed men like Nathan, to call him out when he sinned.

Psalm 141:5a
Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness; let him rebuke me—it is oil for my head; let my head not refuse it.

But we must choose carefully who we run with. We must stand against evil. We must pray for people to be saved, yet we must pray against the evil they perpetuate.

Psalm 141:5b-7
Yet my prayer is continually against their evil deeds.  When their judges are thrown over the cliff, then they shall hear my words, for they are pleasant.  As when one plows and breaks up the earth, so shall our bones be scattered at the mouth of Sheol.

David finishes this prayer by calling on God to help him not fall into the traps and snares of the devil, who seeks to take us away from an obedient life. He knows he must keep his eyes upon Jesus.

Psalm 141:8-10
But my eyes are toward you, O GOD, my Lord; in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless! Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me and from the snares of evildoers!  Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I pass by safely.


I need to pray like David, for far too often I have let myself be trapped by the schemes of the devil. This morning I turn my eyes toward Jesus. In Him, and Him alone I seek refuge. How about you? Let us lift up our prayers to God. Let them be as incense to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment